Scrape Drippers ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

Re: Scrape Drippers ?

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:43 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:
Schultzy wrote:I got bucks hitting my mocks right now. I'm starting to get a little skeptical though of the dripper. Over the past 3 years I'm seeing more and more mature bucks getting scared from the dripper hanging above the scrape. It happened again the other day when I checked my cams. I took the drippers down yesterday. The mocks that I don't have drippers on they never spook.

I use Buckfever Synthetic scents. I use the Pre Rut stuff now on the ground but will switch over to the Rut stuff in a couple weeks. The gland stuff that goes on the licking branch to me is the most important part of the mock.

Ya, I've wondered about it spooking them also...... I guess my cousin had it on an upper branch, dripping down onto the licking branch, and that way it run down off the end of that branch, before it fell to the ground.... But not every tree is going to give you that option, so ya, not sure.
I think if a person could hang them 8 to 9 feet up at least that would help. Mine are usually in the 6 to 7 foot range. I guess if your mocks are in the right spot other bucks will keep them going but the thing is with mocks you want other bucks (or the big guy your after) to think there's another buck in his territory and you want him to hunt you thus why you put scent in them. That's how I look at it anyway.

That's how I understand it also............. you are out to Pi$$ off the dominant or mature buck in that area, by making him think some strange buck is in his core area checking out HIS doe's..
Right on! :handgestures-thumbup:

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:00 am

I've had some solid bucks hit my back yard mock scrape over the years, I generally open em up and the deer take care of the rest. All mature buck activity is at night but I think it could work if you had solid bedding nearby. Lot of leaves in the scrape last week so I cleaned it out again, sure enough a buck came through and then tracked my scent to the camera so he might be onto me.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:03 am

A couple from last year. Buck from this year was a little smaller than these guys.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:22 am

headgear wrote:A couple from last year. Buck from this year was a little smaller than these guys.

Last year? 2005? :lol:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 am

Ya just ignore the date, probably bought the cam in 2005, pics are from last nov. :D
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Pulled the scent drippers out of storage. Bought a bottle of scent. Setting some "fun" cameras tomorrow on some apple tree scrapes.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:13 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Pulled the scent drippers out of storage. Bought a bottle of scent. Setting some "fun" cameras tomorrow on some apple tree scrapes.

Should yield some cool pics! Im going tomorrow to pick up a cam that i set up on a fresh scrape two weeks ago out in pine island. I didnt think to add any scent tho at that time lol. Im hoping at least something checked it out

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:17 pm

hunter_mike wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Pulled the scent drippers out of storage. Bought a bottle of scent. Setting some "fun" cameras tomorrow on some apple tree scrapes.

Should yield some cool pics! Im going tomorrow to pick up a cam that i set up on a fresh scrape two weeks ago out in pine island. I didnt think to add any scent tho at that time lol. Im hoping at least something checked it out

There aren't a lot of scrapes in the interior of pine island. If you picked a good one, I don't expect to see any pics on this website ;)
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:23 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:

There aren't a lot of scrapes in the interior of pine island. If you picked a good one, I don't expect to see any pics on this website ;)

Haha you got that right! Too many lurkers for my liking!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:19 am

Bassboys..... just wondering if you had any luck with this experiment last year? I was late to the party last year to get them going... This year, I was thinking about getting them started around the 18th of October, that way, a week of dripping might lure in a big boy in the area.... we shall see...

Anybody else use the Magnum scent drippers, with success?
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:34 am

dreaming bucks wrote:

Bassboys..... just wondering if you had any luck with this experiment last year? I was late to the party last year to get them going... This year, I was thinking about getting them started around the 18th of October, that way, a week of dripping might lure in a big boy in the area.... we shall see...

Anybody else use the Magnum scent drippers, with success?

I have a cam over a natural scrape right now that is getting pounded. Some morning/evening action but alot of dark activity. Still, in two weeks of a soak, I have several 1.5s, 2.5s, a 3.5 or two, and one 4.5 all working it.

I don't know what the better hunting tool would be. Set it up now and get it conditioned or try to string them out a week before? I'm not a huge mock scraper but will do it from time to time and rarely use a dripper. I find getting them started is the only input required from my experience. Go to a park and snip off a licking branch (probably not legal, but don't know how big of a deal that would be), and zip tie it to your tree, break dirt, and pee in it. It has been an effective way to mock scrape for me. I don't often hunt over them, but will set up 2-3x throughout October/early Nov. in a spot that would be prime to hunt them (ie the path I think the mature buck takes to get there to scent check it).
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:27 am

Yep, I've did the mock scrape thing before where you scrape up the ground with a branch or something and then pee in it, which does work... but I was thinking with a dripper, it's a constant daytime drip for a couple weeks, and you might get that dominant buck in the area ticked off, and he just might show during daylight trying to intercept the new guy on his turf....
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:21 am

Never really hunted over them. But got lots of bucks on cameras with them, majority were at dark and most were young. Less than 3.5 yrs old. Had two till neighboring farmer stole them....
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”