What is everyones #1 thing they have learned from the beast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PK_
500 Club

Re: What is everyones #1 thing they have learned from the be

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:15 pm

PredatorTC wrote:I didn't want to post to this because my list is huge. Dewey, I would say milkweed as well, but I'm just at the beginning stages of using them and its a huge eye opener. There is one spot that I used to hunt often because trail cameras and spotting always showed action on a west wind. When I sat there, I never saw a thing. [glow=red]Then I realized that with milkweeds when everything was calm, at prime time, the cooling of the swamp would pull the scent in the complete opposite direction.[/glow] The wind was so faint that you could not feel it on your face or by dropping a leaf. Milkweed however, did show it. There have been many other morning and evening spots similar to this that I am starting to notice. Its crazy.

The biggest thing is probably the hard work and persistence part of it. With both hard work and persistence, things start to fall into place.

This is an awesome tip. I used this trick to cheat the wind on the first muzzleloader buck I killed this year. The wind was predicted dead wrong for that spot, but I entered from the swamp which was sucking the early morning air in the opposite direction and I knew that by the time the morning breeze picked up, the thermals would be pulling the air up over the thicket. I had half a dozen does less than 50 yards downwind of me at one point and never got busted, and I smelled like bigfoot's armpit.

I think learning how deer use the wind and how we can 'cheat' the wind are two of the most important things outside of knowing where to be to catch a buck on his feet during daylight.

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:59 pm

Learning a ton with milkweed, cant wait til I get it right. What I once thought were wind switches were just swirls or thermals affecting prevailing. Still working on cheating the eddies, or swirls, influenced by topography
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:07 pm

obrion wrote:I learned very quickly that my wife who was already slightly annoyed by hunting season year to year, was going to soon have a huge eye opener next year when i start properly scouting post season for beds all over.

Diddo.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:07 pm

obrion wrote:I learned very quickly that my wife who was already slightly annoyed by hunting season year to year, was going to soon have a huge eye opener next year when i start properly scouting post season for beds all over.

Diddo.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Silly question on the milkweed, how do you keep it “fresh” per say after picking it? Just putting it a zip lock bag and not closing it?
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Smile and have fun with it!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:18 pm

exojam wrote:Silly question on the milkweed, how do you keep it “fresh” per say after picking it? Just putting it a zip lock bag and not closing it?

I just have it in the pod in a pocket on my vest.

Learning a ton with milkweed, cant wait til I get it right. What I once thought were wind switches were just swirls or thermals affecting prevailing. Still working on cheating the eddies, or swirls, influenced by topography

Exactly... Milkweed has really been helping me advance in my knowledge about wind currents vs terrain and how to predict bedding and cruising based on "unseen" wind and thermal activity.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:02 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:I'm ignorant, ungifted in the woods and oh yeah unlucky in the deer woods also..

I need to stick to upland bird hunting.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

You've got a great personality Ed :mrgreen:

Well your a damn sweetheart JM! :D

My mother says I'm handsome too, I'm beginning to wonder if she was just telling me another lie...
- Your handsome...
- You have a great personality
- It'll make you a better person...
- The hard work will make you appreciate things more...
Blah-blah-blah...

I'd rather have skill, but that isn't working, so I'll look for a Chinese fortune cookie that says "A BIG Buck is in your near future" = luck
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:05 am

Where/why a mature buck beds in a swamp. Still I haven't put it all together as I've only found one buck bed in the 10 to 15 acres of cattails that are on the land I hunt in. My only guess is they are either bedding in the neighbors swamp that's double in size or I'm just blind. lol! None the less it makes so much sense what Dan and others have said when it comes to beds in swamps and why the bed where they do.
SEmnBowHunter
Facebook: Collin Slogmaster Giles

Unread postby SEmnBowHunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:51 am

i've got alot to learn, but so far id say my entrance and exit routes have really turned the way i hunt around and has increased my deer, and mature buck sightings.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:58 am

Don't hunt the perfect wind for the hunter, hunt the best wind for the buck.

That one eyeopener from Dan has increased my sightings a ton.

If the wind is perfect for a particular stand the buck probably isn't bedded where "he should be". A guy has to take a chance and hunt the off wind. Sometimes you get busted but other times the deer thinks he is safe because if he walked just 20-30 feet over he could catch my wind.

Can't say enough how this has helped me. Something so simple and makes tons of sense.
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:19 pm

planning everything in the wind from mobile stands entrance routes deer travel that day and thermal changes...I am no beast yet but i have seen deer every hunt this season which is very different than my first season... go beasts

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:32 pm

Big bucks stage near their beds and you can kill them there consistently if you follow the system. Even (especially) during the so-called "October Lull" people talk about.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 pm

The milk weed would be the best thing I've got from the site also.

The milk weed has confirmed, debunked and taught me a ton about the wind.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:The milk weed would be the best thing I've got from the site also.

The milk weed has confirmed, debunked and taught me a ton about the wind.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Its still teaching me... Every time I find a bedding area I can't figure out, checking with milk weed when calm confirms its some sort of thermal hub and air currents flow there from most directions, or there is some feature in the terrain that is turning air flow to that spot.
It has helped me study the terrain shape, tree positions, and predict bedding based on "predicted" wind currents that I otherwise would not even know existed...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”