Timing of the year...where to hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Timing of the year...where to hunt

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:25 am

During this timing of the year with the per rut heating IP where would you suggest hunting.

I know of a very utilized food source.
I know of two used buck beds
Several close by rut funnels.

Getting within 100 yards if the beds are about as close as I can comfortably get. I have a super easy entrance to the food source as well as the rut funnels.

Your thoughts. Oh by the way will be hunting there Thursdsy- Sunday during a very good cold front

[ Post made via Android ] Image

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Re: Timing of the year...where to hunt

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:22 am

I don't know where you hunt, but I would not expect anything but younger bucks to be actually cruising and bumping does yet, so unless you are happy with taking a younger age class buck i wouldn't hunt the "rut" funnel. Food sources and bedding is what I would key in on until after next weekend (at least in my area), then I would start keying more on pinch points and doe bedding areas. The pre-rut or seeking phase in my area usually starts to kick in good the last couple days of Oct.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:44 am

lungbuster wrote:I don't know where you hunt, but I would not expect anything but younger bucks to be actually cruising and bumping does yet, so unless you are happy with taking a younger age class buck i wouldn't hunt the "rut" funnel. Food sources and bedding is what I would key in on until after next weekend (at least in my area), then I would start keying more on pinch points and doe bedding areas. The pre-rut or seeking phase in my area usually starts to kick in good the last couple days of Oct.

X2

If the hunting pressure is high food sources may not be as good so buck beds would for sure still be your best bet right now. Still a little early for rut tactics.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:49 am

You can catch a good buck checkn food sources now... bedding or corn field edges for me this next week

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:56 am

Transition areas downwind of doe bedding leading to common food sources for me. At least the next 3 sits this week.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 am

Fresh scrapes and rubs anywhere near thick bedding . Hunt the buck sign now. Key in on weather for earlier evening movement .

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:24 am

E72 wrote:Fresh scrapes and rubs anywhere near thick bedding . Hunt the buck sign now. Key in on weather for earlier evening movement .

I agree..

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:43 am

Hunt a rut funnel that has close bedding and food cant one stand have all three?
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 am

I'd hunt the buck beds...
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:47 am

goldtip5575 wrote:Hunt a rut funnel that has close bedding and food cant one stand have all three?

Yup! and those are the best :lol: I'd probably wait a few more days though before I jump into one
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:50 am

I find it interesting that everybody is suggesting slightly different tactics. :think:

They all work on any given day but we need to remain flexible and adjust our locations daily depending on what the deer are telling us even if it means packing up and moving in the middle of a sit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”