Going deep in public land, Need help with where to set up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Going deep in public land, Need help with where to set up

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:16 am

the orange is my anticipated path the the points I have picked out for buck bedding. Wind will be SSW, if it stays that way. There is a field just on the outside of the state game lands boundary at the end of my trail.

I am wondering if I should set up off of the points, set up in the valleys between the points or set up on the flat on the backside of the field. The buck movement should increase this week with it coming closer to November, and nice cold front. I know I want to hunt this section of ridge, because I don't see very many guys making that far of a hike in that type of terrain. I think the only competition would be from guys who can access that property from the private ground. I don't have great wind for access, but really want to hit this spot.

Where would you set up your stand?

off of the points
between the points in the V's
on the flat facing the field

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
bowmike
500 Club

Re: Going deep in public land, Need help with where to set u

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 am

I am think the v between both points would be the best set up point. Only hunting for bucks now since I got my doe Saturday.
Only spooky thing is that that V is very deep and not sure they will travel that as much, or hook out to the back side of the field. I don't want my wind blowing in the direction of the points as well.
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:40 am

the point to the west of ur second bed could also be a bedding point...i would rather come up from the bottom if you could...to me if you come in from the top you take a chance with the wind shifting alittle and the bed bedding you...are u planning on hunting it in the morning or evening
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:46 am

Hunting all day from sun up to sun down. Contemplated moving mid day though if I don't see anything.

I thought about that point as well because it is closest to that marked water source but is furthest from those fields. I do not know if it is just a field, or food plot, or agriculture however so planning based on those could be a bad move.

What about hunting between the point you talked about and the first point I have marked out? If I can get high I am hoping my scent would blow over them.

Access to the bottom would be near impossible, but would be the best way I agree with you on that. I would be soaked in sweat by the time I reached it I think. Plus I would have to cross Bob's creek to get there and my boots are not high enough to not get soaked.
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:54 am

well up that high bobs creek shouldnt be that deep...also you might have more company there then what you think....but if i was going to hunt it all day i would get down about a 1/3 from the top and hope you catch a buck looking for a doe
Last edited by attackone on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:56 am

Thanks will be looking into access from below.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:47 pm

I would hunt the crossing near the top of the draws... Let your scent blow down the draw, and all the trails usually come together there rather than going thru the deep ravine.
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Have u found beds on those points or are u just thinking they are there. I would check the point to the south of that field as well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Is this the draws you would set up on?

Dan are you talking the draw between the two points. Or the draw to the left of the red dot I have in the middle?
Also how far into the draws should I hunt, I typically would hunt where it flattens out a bit towards the top, and expect them to use the easiest rout. Also would I walk in and try to find a trail then set up facing the trail at the wind at my back, climbing high enough to blow over them and down the draw, or would it be better to set up in the draw facing the trail, keeping the wind in my face. If I remember in the hill country bucks dvd it is best to set up facing the point/bottom of the V with the wind at your back.If I set up with the wind in my face, I imagine I run the risk of getting my scent on top of their trail, as well as being silhouetted, pretty easily.

Here are the bing maps birds eye views of the spot. I am not sure what will be in those fields if anything.

As you can see the field is right up against the mountains for the most part. I am a little nervous of hunting that close to the property line, but I imagine if I shoot one it will run down the hill towards the water, or just to make up the most ground it can in the shortest length of time.

The whole set up is tricky as well because I have no clue what exactly the wind is going to do, as well as the thermals. With that field right behind me I imagine it will rip through there pretty well. Also not sure of what the woods are like Planning an all day sit here with the rut coming on, and pre rut should be kicking pretty good. Looking at the bing maps it does not appear to be a clear cut or anything like that so I should find a decent tree.

This is pretty much a blind set up. I am just anticipating them being there. And hoping for not a lot of company, being so far away from the main road. Access to below would be tough, and am thinking not many guys would hike the valley below and them climb up that steep of a mountain, but I could be wrong. I figure that with the wind I have, I am anticipating movement from right to left away from my back trail.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:25 am

Both those blue dots look like good spots, they look slightly to high, but the general area... I would hunt them both in consecutive hunts when the wind or access allows... When you start going into the draw from the top the trails should be pretty obvious on where to set up. I like to be above them if possible. What ever you do don't set up so the deer walks straight to the base of your tree. I would want to be facing the direction deer would be expected to come from so I am not caught off gaurd, and I am ready to kill without much movement.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:16 am

Thanks Dan.

I will be moving the waypoints down on my gps, and Will set up above the trails. I am glad that my initial diagnoses was pretty decent just a bit high in elevation. I will let you know if I lay the smack down on a buck. I have my standards set for a 14-16" wide buck or better, and since I got my doe last week, I should have enough burger/meat to get me through the year. I have good confidence in this set, but going in for the most part blind, is all part of the fun of TOPO hunting.

Thanks again, and keep up the great work on the site!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”