barometric pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

liv4rut

barometric pressure

Unread postby liv4rut » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:00 am

good morning all, i just wanted to talk a little on barometric pressure and whitetail deer movement. i pesonally find that when the pressure is high or 30.00 in. that the deer are moving the best. anybody else got any info for the barometric pressure?

dreaming bucks

Re: barometric pressure

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:09 am

I read somewhere once that when the pressure is between 30.0 - 30.2, the deer are most active for feeding...., but alot of guys will say any kind of drastic change, up or down, is a good thing...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
liv4rut

Unread postby liv4rut » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:17 am

i agree, anytime the pressure is moving seems to be good. just seems that a high pressure always worked for me. i keep track of that when i kill a deer. kinda cool to look back on the journal i keep and start seeing a pattern.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:43 am

Usually a rapid drop in pressure signals an approaching storm, while a rise indicates clear weather. I've noticed movement during both rising and falling pressure. I'd prefer to hunt a drop if possible. I love to hunt right before a storm.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:48 am

Here is a graph from my hunting journal. This is all my buck sightings since 2002, and the barametric pressue at the time of the sighting.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:53 am

I like it BS, thanks...!

liv4rut

Unread postby liv4rut » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:11 am

Nice graph BS, i will have to look into making one, but im not very computer savy lol!!!
south

Unread postby south » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:59 am

Black Squirrel,

Care to share the same data graphed by date?

Thanks
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:10 am

south wrote:Black Squirrel,

Care to share the same data graphed by date?

Thanks

I used an online journal called Gametraxx to build that graph. It doesn't give me the option to due it by date. I'll play around with it and see if there is any way around it.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:17 am

liv4rut wrote:Nice graph BS, i will have to look into making one, but im not very computer savy lol!!!

Gametraxx is an online journal I subscribe to. It allows me to build all kinds of reports and graphs from data i put into it. It cost $29 a year. I have data from 2002- present.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:31 am

Black Squirrel that is some pretty compelling data you have there. Looks like anything above 29.9 is the time to be out. What other information are you able to track with this Gametraxx?
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:47 am

Trailcamaddict wrote:Black Squirrel that is some pretty compelling data you have there. Looks like anything above 29.9 is the time to be out. What other information are you able to track with this Gametraxx?

I am playing around with it. I can also sort by moon phase, wind direction, temp, along with a few other things. I should probably put the nuber of hours I hunted during the different pressures as well. Here it is.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:05 pm

Good stuff Black Squirrel. It appears there is a correlation to hours spent to deer sightings as well. If I am reading this right could this skew those results.

I always like before a front. An old deer hunter once told me he liked low pressure before/during rain. Just like some old carpenters and farmers feel a front coming and don't like to sit or they get stiff. This gentleman told me that is when the big bucks move because they don't want to lay around and be sore. Don't know if it is worth anything or not, I just remember it, and always like to creep around in the quiet rain before a storm
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”