Question about hunting doe bedding during rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dbltmn

Question about hunting doe bedding during rut

Unread postby dbltmn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:06 pm

I am hunting Nicolet National forest. Big woods, no ag. I have located a few consistent doe bedding areas. Reading about hunting these areas for bucks coming to check for estrous does I have a question or 2.

Do you guys set up on them close enough that you might blow the bedded does out of their beds? Meaning will bucks come to scent check these areas even if Mama's not home?

In both cases the beds I have found (both with doe in them) has been at the top of a ridge overlooking the side of the ridge with the wind mostly at their back. If I try to hunt the down wind side I will be on the hillside. Is that normal or do I need to wait for a wind coming from a different direction?

How close do you typically set up to the doe bedding?

Thanks.

Zap

Re: Question about hunting doe bedding during rut

Unread postby Zap » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:15 pm

I would hunt where a buck would pass I order to check that area and not blow the doe out of the bedding.
If they are bedding down the slope the thermal would carry their scent up and they may access from above with the wind at their back..
That would be where a buck would check, in the thermal corridor.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:27 am

I would try not to kick the does out, but if I did it would not make a huge difference, cruising bucks don't know if she is home or not. My set up would be where ever the buck trail and old rubs are... However, if we are talking hill country and your hunting ridges, I probably would not be set up on the doe bedding area at all, but rather at a pinch such as the top of a draw on the Leeward side of a ridge that leads to and from the doe bedding.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:51 am

I would hunt on the leeward side of the bedding area and not close enough to bust them out. Bucks will scent check more than not so Try to set up where the buck would travel between the does bedding and your set. I set up like this a lot.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
attackone

Unread postby attackone » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:45 am

Stanley wrote:I would hunt on the leeward side of the bedding area and not close enough to bust them out. Bucks will scent check more than not so Try to set up where the buck would travel between the does bedding and your set. I set up like this a lot.

when you set up on the leeward side, do u still come down a 1/3 from the top or do you hug closer to the bottom since the buck might be checking down wind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”