Help with a new piece

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Help with a new piece

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:22 am

Just got access here today. Not sure about the potential just fence lines for the most part. Fields are mostly beans and hay according to the landowner but she wasnt sure if there was corn around or not. Any thoughts on where to set up or where to put a camera to find if the place has potential?

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Help with a new piece

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:48 am

I like those two areas I circled in red for a trailcamera. I'd only put one out if it didn't interfere with your hunting. Personally, I would hunt and not put a camera out unless you wanted to leave it for the rest of the season.

That area I circled in yellow is where I see a big buck bedding. It's the most isolated area with cover on that map. The area is away from roads, human presence, and possibly a small water source.

Good Luck
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:19 am

top left corner where that small patch of woods meets the fence lines is about the only other place I could see, without repeating the post above
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:52 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Image

I like those two areas I circled in red for a trailcamera. I'd only put one out if it didn't interfere with your hunting. Personally, I would hunt and not put a camera out unless you wanted to leave it for the rest of the season.

That area I circled in yellow is where I see a big buck bedding. It's the most isolated area with cover on that map. The area is away from roads, human presence, and possibly a small water source.

Good Luck

Thats what I was thinking. Just pushing in on that yellow area and seeing what happens. It doesnt look like the area would be good for holding a lot of deer but probably worth a shot.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:00 am

ozzz wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Image

Good Luck

Thats what I was thinking. Just pushing in on that yellow area and seeing what happens. It doesnt look like the area would be good for holding a lot of deer but probably worth a shot.

Might not hold a lot of deer but I bet it holds a big one. I've seen a lot of pieces like that where a big bucks would hide out. No pressure is huge
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:48 am

Facing north

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:48 am

Facing north

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Ditch the cameras and glass the areas pointed out... If a big one steps out, devise a plan. If not, leave and come back in a few weeks and repeat.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:17 pm

dan wrote:Ditch the cameras and glass the areas pointed out... If a big one steps out, devise a plan. If not, leave and come back in a few weeks and repeat.

A visual trumps everything. You know I maybe one of the worst things about the cameras is we stop getting in there and use our skills. You get a visual on this small parcel and you're ready to kill. You go place a cam and go back and check it your hunt might be over for the season. if you are going to go in on a pristine deal like that to set a cam, you might as well hunt it.

I have to say that I really enjoy the cams only because I don't have time to hunt much anymore but so far all the cams tell me is what I already know. Maybe a little on degree of quality but that's it.

I think it's a good point.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 am

Buckfever wrote:Facing north

Bedded Buck Im assuming?
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 am

ozzz wrote:
Buckfever wrote:Facing north

Bedded Buck Im assuming?

No that's where I would place the camera. You place the camera there and you'll likely catch every buck there.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:00 pm

If nothing else come peak breeding very good place for a big buck to push a doe too, to escape the other deer and protect the doe.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:01 am

keb wrote:If nothing else come peak breeding very good place for a big buck to push a doe too, to escape the other deer and protect the doe.

Yeah I was thinking of just going in there peak rut and giving it a go

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:03 am

ozzz wrote:
keb wrote:If nothing else come peak breeding very good place for a big buck to push a doe too, to escape the other deer and protect the doe.

Yeah I was thinking of just going in there peak rut and giving it a go

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Sounds like the best plan. I'd go in when the wind is right for consecutive days, go in midday take your time set up quiet hunt that afternoon and the whole next day. And maybe based on that make an adjustment and do it again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”