Mature Buck Assassins

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Mature Buck Assassins

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 am

I was sitting in the trees yesterday thinking, about how many different guys I have gotten some really solid advice from on this site. That being said I also know many guys on here are modest.....SO Id like to pose a question if y'all Beast wouldn't mind sharing:

1. Who has killed a mature buck or at a 3.5 year old each year for the last 3,4 or 5 years, each year. If you have killed a mature buck for more than 5 years, how long have you went now?

2. If you would like, please post pics for rookies like me can admire, drool, and continue to dream of reaching that point!

I think this topic would be fun, so post up.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Mature Buck Assassins

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:10 am

1st off, 3 y/o's are not mature so the question is confusing, but if your asking "3 or older" I have the last two years in a row with 160 class bucks that were believed to be 4 & 6 years old... But 3 years ago my biggest buck was a 140 class 2 y/o...

I usually get what I consider a shooter buck every year, but not always mature.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks Dan, and no doubt you are an assassin! :P

In my original post I meant to type...
"Who has killed a mature buck or at LEAST a 3.5 year old each year"

I agree a 3.5 isn't mature. My idea of mature is 5.5 but in many cases a 4.5 would/could be considered mature.

I guess the thread would be better served if I asked....
How many of you have harvested a shooter buck over the pass several years in a row.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Just curious, what is your definition of mature? everyone talks about "mature", but are we talking about our own opinions of mature, or the true dictionary definition? I think there are a lot of different views on this. Also, if everyone is talking about age, unless you actually had your bucks teeth aged we are just guessing the buck is mature anyhow, right?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Its extremely hard to be accurate on age.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm

If we go by a "shooter to me " I have killed 5 in the past 3 years. Some do not score well for various reasons, busted up, big deductions, etc. Most were 2.5 with 2 that may have been 3.5. There are FAR better big buck hunters on here than me and I'm the first to admit it. More important to me is these bucks were "on purpose" deer that did exactly or mostly what I expected them to do, so I feel I am progressing. As for slob killers this site is loaded with them, more so than any other site I know of.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

This deer weighed 200 lbs field dressed despite not having a huge rack. Most of my confirmed 2.5 year old bucks weigh 150 field dressed so this is POSSIBLY a 3.5.

This deer was a wide 2.5 year old

This was last years bow buck

This was last years gun buck, MIGHT be a 3.5 based on body shape and size but hard to say, I still think he was 2.5.

This was a buck I killed in 2010

All but the last buck pictured have been killed since I found this site. The big 10 point in the same photo was a 4.5 year old I killed in 2004 and still stands as my personal best. he weighed over 250 lbs field dressed.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:17 pm

Im wanting more and more to become a slob hunter. Ive been hunting since i was 12 shot numerous does and scrub bucks and only two 2.5yr old bucks. I desperately wanting to become a slob hunter but the most i see on public land are hunters. Kind of frustrating but o well i guess
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:22 pm

I think a mature buck is one that doesn't laugh or snicker at inappropriate jokes and/or conversation topics. He is usually wise and tends to be a gentleman when it comes to dealing with females and other deer in general. A mature buck is responsible and has his priorities straight. Physically, a mature buck tends to strut with confidence and usually has a muscular build. He can usually stick up for himself when confronted by other bucks and may use his oftentimes larger antlers to lay the smack down. Mature bucks demand respect. Anything less and he will force his opponent running away with his tail tucked between his legs as the mature buck and his mate point their hooves and laugh. Who wouldn't be proud to have a mature buck on their wall?
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:30 pm

2009 3 year old 120, 2010 4 year old plus 155, 2011 wounded 4 year old150, 2012 5 year or older 153. I am going of body size, neck, nose, and mass in my guesses on age . I am no assassin but all DIY, so I feel I am doing decent.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:43 pm

This forum is full of MBA'a...... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Brad your gun buck last yr is definetly 3... might have been 4. IMO

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:12 pm

I would not tell those guys from Michigan & Pennsylvania and some other regions/states, that a 3.5 year old buck isn't mature. I think geographically and public vs cushy private is a major difference when it comes to labeling "mature". JMHO
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Beast hunting is all new to me. It's been all brute force scouting on the fly and hunting on the fly day after day after day for 20 seasons. I've shot a number of bucks 195-220 pounds but no really old slobs. I want to shoot a 250 pounder in his bed someday.

Lots of still-hunting, lots of sitting dark-to-dark, and some tracking in frigid weather late-season when there's snow - which we've only had during muzzleloader season, which has been a bummer... and I've usually burned my buck tag by then. The three in my signature pic below are the last three years... I shot in the 195-215 pound range. I don't know how old they were I guess maybe stocky 3.5 year olds (?). I'm guessing. Two of those bucks were 135-140 inches and the other one was 161 inches. I bow hunt a little too but since we only get one buck tag in MN and nobody I hunt with will share their buck tag, it's been a tough sell to put much effort into bow hunting. However, now with the Beast bed hunting tactics I see how effective it is before the rut. I'll be out there trying to kill big ones in October going forward.

The three in the pic were 10 yards running, 300 yards stopped, and 200 yards walking. I had a really close encounter with a dandy at 5 yards in 2009. Couldn't get my gun... I was standing there with my rattling antlers still rattling when I spotted him right under me - he came in from behind. 2008 I let a big buck walk that I should have shot. That was stupid. I can't wait to get out there on the ground up on the big public turf. With Larry Benoit's passing it makes me want to pour everything into it... their stuff transformed my hunting. Just like this HB forum is changing everything again too.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Stanley wrote:I would not tell those guys from Michigan & Pennsylvania and some other regions/states, that a 3.5 year old buck isn't mature. I think geographically and public vs cushy private is a major difference when it comes to labeling "mature". JMHO

Right on Stanley. If you can consistently kill 2.5+ year olds here in Michigan year after year you are doing something right.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Behaviorally, I do not think there is any doubt that at about age 5 a buck reaches true full maturity. They are a different animal than a 3 or 4 year old. Scarcity (how common they are) is a whole different matter. To go even further, someone who killed a slob every year on their own exclusive access farm has it easier than others as well.

I have hunted a mix of public and private - mostly public anymore, absolutely none of it controlled or excursive access, but still good ground, and for a number of years I have been fortunate enough to tag at least 1 buck every year that are 4+ years old. Last year, I shot a 3 year old by accident in iowa with my bow and was a bit bummed for that, but at the same time shot a 3 year old in the northwoods in wisconsin and was darn proud of doing that! Success takes a ton of dedication and effort any way you box it up though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”