Have you ever killed a buck over a scrape?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Have you ever killed a buck over a scrape?

Yes
35%
No
51%
Yes, On his way to the scrape
14%

Total votes: 88
rizzo999
500 Club

Re: Have you ever killed a buck over a scrape?

Unread postby rizzo999 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:54 am

Killed a couple with a gun in WI during the EAB (Earn-a-buck) early gun season WI held back in the 2000s. They were both 8 pointers. One was a 3.5 yr old that was shot on 10/20/07 while the other was a 2.5 yr old 10/30/2003. Both were taken at primary scrape locations alongside creek crossings in bottoms on different properties.

I killed a 3.5 yr old 9 pointer with my bow 11/8/2010 on public property also in a bottom in ridiculously warm temps for November. After I killed him and watched him crash 30-40 yds away a true MONSTER came down and worked the same scrape 22 yds from me just minutes after the 9 pointer with at least another hour of light remaining. I only had one buck permit even though we are allowed 2 bucks/year here in IL so I just watched this beast with a wipe open mouth.

These were taken using techniques I used prior to focusing on hunting beds. It was tough hunting those bottoms where I was finding these primary scraps 'cause for every deer that I could get a shot at 3-4 would blow at me.

E72
500 Club

Re: Have you ever killed a buck over a scrape?

Unread postby E72 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:28 am

Yes, set up next to a large scrape . He followed a doe that was walking right to it . Also had an almost but couldn't get a shot at that buck after he worked the scrape. Three things on scrapes I look for . Time of year , early season to mid October is usually best . How fresh it is and the most important is near a known bedding area.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”