Have you ever killed a buck over a scrape?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Yes
35%
No
51%
Yes, On his way to the scrape
14%

Total votes: 88
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:25 am

I personally believe most scrapes get worked at night, however I have heard of common people....not just TV hunters kill them in light over a scrape.

I killed my first buck with a bow over a scrape. He was coming up to it. Date was November 14th.

If you could please include the date of the kill. I'm interested to see results.

Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Have you ever killed a buck over a scrape?

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:43 am

The first time i ever hunted a scrape was last year. It was a new area that I only partially scouted. I arrived at the scrape and decided last second to hunt on the swamp edge instead, but the scrape was only 30 yards over my right shoulder. As the hunt went on i couldnt help but keep looking back to the scrape. With an hour of shooting light left i glanced at it again and there was a hundred ten inch 8 point working it. I was a 1 1/2. Miles back so i passed on him. Really thought about taking him. The area was a large point jutting into the marsh and he came from the south side of point.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:50 am

I shot a nice 8 pointer (but by no means a monster like some of you guys have shot) in 2001 on Public land up near Mountain Wisconsin. I was off the whole week and we had our school bus(converted Camper) up there. I had a trail camera on the scrape and knew he was hitting it just after dark. I shot him on November 8th about 30 minutes before shooting ended. It rained that afternoon, so I don't know if he came in early because he was up refreshing his scraps or not, but I was happy he did :)
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:05 am

I shot my buck last fall over a primary scrape. When I originally set up I was getting in front of several bucks I could see in a picked bean field. I missed a 140" 11 point right over the scrape that I noticed once on stand. I repositioned on the downwind side of it and shot my buck 2 hours later as he was scent checking it. To be honest MOST of my biggest buck encounters have been over primary scrapes. I don't mean little 2 foot scrapes, I mean ones the size of car hoods or bigger. The one I hunted last year was 15 foot long and 3 foot wide and absolutely tore up. It was adjacent to a doe bedding area as well. I shot him November 3rd last year and in Wi.

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:02 am

October 12, 2012. Didn't know the scrape was there until I looked around from the LW, killed him coming in at last light.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:12 am

I have never actually arrowed a buck over a scrape. I have passed a few bucks over the years at scrapes. I really don't set up much on scrapes. I like to set up on bucks before they reach the scrapes. I have always kind of thought I should be hunting the deer not the dirt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 am

Shot my buck last year on a scrape as he raked and licked the branches above it.The 2 does that led him to it, and were under my stand were the key i'm sure because without a visual or scent of the does Im sure he wouldn't have hit it.In fact I saw him 70 yards from the scrape an hour or so before the does came by and he didn't go to the scrape.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 am

My first bowbuck was a 1.5. I sat over a beat down scrape and got lucky. For mature bucks, no
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:04 am

Several of my biggest bucks were shot over scrapes next to bedding areas.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:09 am

Shot a 1.5yr old in a primary scrape in the morning and my best michigan buck after he worked my mock scrape in the morning. He isn't huge like the beast boys drop, but he was big for me at that time. I saw him coming and couldn't even look at him while he worked the scrape. Lol I looked down and was like big buck, big buck. Lol I then noticed him leaving in my peripheral vision, drew my bow and hit him perfect on the move. It was early November for both bucks, don't know exact date. Both hunts started off on the wrong foot and I got in the stand after daylight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:21 am

Not over but close to

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:38 am

Nope

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 am

I have killed two bucks over their scrapes. My first bow buck kill happened when I was set up over at least a dozen scrapes in a small area. It was a rainy morning, skies cleared out, and the buck was bedded in some CRP. He came out of his bed, into the woodlot to check and refresh his scrapes when the sun came out. I killed him at 17 yards while he was pawing a scrape. The other buck I killed was back in 2003 opener of gun season when I was walking down a logging road in the woods and walked right up to a buck pawing up a scrape. He was oblivious to my approach and I got within 20 yards on foot and killed him in his tracks with one shot. Both were young deer though.
Bow buck- Oct. 28
Gun season buck- mid Nov.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Shot a 135" - 9 pointer in Ontario last year on October 28, 2 pm in the afternoon. Was hunting a 400 yard slew grass opening due to multiple converging edges, doe can call every 15 minutes or so, he came in scenting it quartering into wind charged out to scrape by lone red pine in slew and started demolishing it, few seconds later it was over.

Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:32 pm

I've had a lot of action over scrapes. A good portion of them were mock. I've killed a couple younger bucks on a scrape. But none of my better ones we're scrape bucks. A lot of passes handed out though.
A lot of fun for sure. I might have to sit on some here again soon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”