Pro's vs. Joe's

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Re: Pro's vs. Joe's

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:55 am

I can't blame anyone for trying to make money off of hunting, if they can... I would love to make a living off of hunting, but until I win the lottery, I will just rough it, like anyone else out there.. :D

Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:24 am

We're in the same boat... and you know what, I'm okay with that ;)
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:44 am

tim wrote:i wouldnt want to be the one knocking anyone for building their own empire doing what they love or for even being it handed down to them, good for them. ive got me and me only to worry about. but some of these hunters did build their reputation the old fashion way, i remember seing potts in magazines over 20 years ago killing beasts. but if putting "joes vs pros" joes odds are just as good as pros. cause joe is still hunting now how pro use to hunt.

I think Tim nailed it...
More power to anyone who can make it big in hunting. Are they all great hunters? No. But some are... Some used money to climb, some used skills. Some just got lucky. Don't really matter to me.
I do believe a lot of them are bigger than life though... Cushy big managed properties make it easy to harvest huge bucks. So does having every outfitter out there begging you to hunt there property for free and putting you on the best bucks while kicking paying clients to the side. ;)
But its all business, and if it came down to a choice most of us would swap jobs with most of them in a heart beat.
I would probably enjoy competing against some of the hunters mentioned. Would be fun.
Someone mentioned Stan Potts earlier... I hunted with Stan once and talked tactic with him. He is a pretty good hunter. At least he was back in his younger days.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:27 am

Wasn't Stan Potts the head guide and/or manager of some big outfitter called Heartland Bowhunting in Illinois awhile ago? I may not have the name of it right but I'm pretty sure he put in some real work before he got in front of the camera. Also fairly certain he has a 200 incher on the wall from before he made it big as well. As much as he annoys me on the TV I'm betting he could get it done on public land if he had to.

I bet Tiffany could too... if Lee did all the work for her like he does now!

As far as the Drury's go I think that Mark and Terry are in a league of their own what with EACH owning multiple 700+ acre tracts of land in multiple states. Now their sub-contractor guys who put their own food plots in, run the trail cameras, and do velvet scouting are the guys I like to watch and learn from. Guys "living the dream" and only really hunting a few hundred acres of their own is fun to watch IMO. Do they get discounts on all the stuff they use? I'm sure they do, but who of us wouldn't take advantage if given the chance? I know I have!

Now the Pro vs Joes tv show where they put regular guys who have more ego than talent up against pro athletes, that's a GREAT show! Watching them box a gold glove lightweight and getting KTFO was hilarious a few years ago. Then watching them try to tackle pro running backs or hit a true 95+ mph fast ball is GREAT! Was it last year they played 1 on 1 basketball with some guy who was a former NBA stand out, they got shut down unless they launched 60 foot trays! I gotta Tevo that action.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 am

In regards to Stan Potts, his tactics are not all that much different from what I learned from Dan and the videos. Or at least from watching his show dominant bucks thats how it seems. Its one of a few shows that it actually seems like they're hunting like the rest of us, just so happens they hunt great properties($$$?). Does his explanations of his tactics help as much as say Dan or Andre, no, but IMO Potts is using the same fundamentals. I think he has his own style to it and leaves more to chance than Dan/Andre.

The Drury's on the other hand our entertainers and they're good at it. I like the guys, they're good guys. Its a business to them in my opinion. A business pushing sponsorships and outfitters and its all about money. But doing all this they get to spend time in the tree on great properties with great family and friends and put down great footage of not just the hunt but everthing and its great. As far as their hunting tactics, probably no better than yours or mine. But they are damn good at what they do.

I can't even watch Waddel or Bill Jordan and the whole realtree thing.

There's another show, Deer City, that I can't help but watch cause they get footage of some monsters on properties that aren't mangaged for trophies in states like Ohio and Michigan. The show is filled with absolute BS though, so much that you can't help but laugh at it; but hey, I still watch it!

How would you feel if you were the Joe Vs Andre?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

great topic. enjoy reading the opinions on this
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:50 pm

For the most part, the "tv" hunters probably know how apply strategy and hunt pretty decent, but it seems like once they made tv or have their own show, they are hunting better land than most of us. I just get sick of watching some of them go on a guided hunt to promote an outfitter and shoot, what they usually call a mature 3 1/2 year old, when they are 2 1/2.

I seen part of a show the other day, the guy was hunting with a crossbow and looked to be a high fence operation, even though it didn't say so. He shot two bucks in what he said was about 6 hours...bad, bad shot angle on the one, really bleech white antlers, etc....and kept saying how he hunted so hard, etc....made me sick and changed the channel.
Treejunkie

Unread postby Treejunkie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 pm

I dont watch many hunting shows anymore. Its the same old thing. I am sick of watching some guy travel in an airport, eat breakfast, meet with the outfitter, take some practice shots, walk to his stand, tell me how great this property is and how many big bucks are on the trail cameras, have a 150+ buck walk out of the woods 3 hours before sunset in an open 40 acre clover field, watch him shoot it and tell me it was because of his dedication and his equipment, he is successful. :oops:

I am happy for all of these guys who made it big. Good for them. I too would love to hunt some of these great lands but I cannot. I am ok with that too.

I do like shows where people hunt their own lands, Drury's, Kiskys, Primos (elk hunts), etc. Dont really care how much land they have. I look more at how they have their food plots laid out compared to there stand placements. I wish they would do a little more teaching this vs. showing me the crap before the actual hunts. :D
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 am

I think there are a few exceptions here. I really like those that made it big by knocking down giants before they made it big, especially those that did it on public land or in pressured areas. Potts and Andre to name two of them. These guys I have alot of respect for and would value their opinions on certain hunting topics. I still think in alot of cases the Joe's would hold their own though.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:07 am

I bet Tiffany could too... if Lee did all the work for her like he does now!(MUDDY)

I say Dawn vs. Tiff without male interferance!!!!
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:20 am

Uncle Lou wrote:great topic. enjoy reading the opinions on this

Same here I am loving seening everyone's opinions on this topic great topic in my opinion.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:09 am

hotterthantiffany wrote:I bet Tiffany could too... if Lee did all the work for her like he does now!(MUDDY)

Dawn, that's a matchup I think EVERYONE would want to see:)
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:11 am

Sam Ubl wrote:
hotterthantiffany wrote:I bet Tiffany could too... if Lee did all the work for her like he does now!(MUDDY)

Dawn, that's a matchup I think EVERYONE would want to see:)

I have a prefect senerio too! Second day of gun season, hangover, cold out, heavy clothing, SWAMP, and driving deer all day!!! This swamp would make anyone cry :twisted:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 am

Now that is good stuff right there.

Until tiff gives me a buffalo heart my money is on Dawn
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 am

If I were to have the resources the pro's have, I could and would work it to the degree they have too. I don't feel that the pro's have a leg up on SOME joe's when it comes to the killing part. They just have the $ to pay someone to do what a lot of us do on our own.
I don't watch hunting shows much anymore. Waste of my time. Always feel ripped off at the end. I would rather be out there, preping for the next one. Now that's fulfillment, IMO!
As far as who would win, joe's, because they are already in gear to get it done themselves. But! it is hunting, and we all know how that goes........ANYTHING! I would watch it, because that's REAL world hunting.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”