What's your exit reguard?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

What's your exit reguard?

Unread postby admiral04 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:37 am

Just curious how much reguard some of you have when you are leaving a stand after dark. Do you wait until pitch black or do you wait until you cant safely shoot before you begin to pack up and descend. Once on the ground do you just pack up and hike out with no reguard for noise? If you are hunting beast style you know your spot is burnt up for a few wks so do you just do your thing or do you intentionally move as slowly and quietly as possible like you did on your way in?

headgear
500 Club

Re: What's your exit reguard?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:45 am

I'm 100% public land so 99% of the time I have no regard for noise or trampling around anywhere. I sometimes will even climb down and head for the bedding area I am hunting to see if I can kick anything out of there, it might sound dumb but it lets me know a deer was in the bed and maybe they just didn't come out or they saw me setting up, any bit of intel I can gain is a good thing. I like to hunt to the bitter end just to see if anything comes by right at closing time. I also want to be the last one out of the wood and make sure to have my flashlight on. Those last minute low light conditions are no time to be walking around public land.

If I saw a buck and and planned on coming back the next night to hunt you bet I would sit tight and slip out of there as quite as possible. Same goes for private land, I wouldn't want to make a big scene or bump any deer on the way out.
elsinbj

Unread postby elsinbj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:00 am

I usually hunt right up until closing and take my time getting down and out of the woods. I'm not AS concerned with noise at the time but by moving slowly, there really isn't any noise anyway. Just a habit I guess.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:07 am

I sit until DARK. Then I quietly and slowly gather my gear and walk slowly and quietly back to my vehicle with a flashlight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:28 am

I treat every exit as an exercise for when I need to sneak out. You never know when a sour hit will cause you to leave with stealth. I can see no reason not to practice a clean and quiet exit. Practicing a quiet tear down of your set up, carries over to the next set up. Never waste a practice shot and never waste a minute during the hunt. I see guys litter on public ground for lack of respect to all. This mentality carries over to their hunting also, "sloven hunters". I may waste a few extra minutes on the exit, but it could pay dividends down the line. JMHO
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:10 am

I'm always quiet coming out of the woods. I'll also walk through water to conceal my ground scent as much as possible.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:19 am

It depends on how afraid I am of getting lost, if its a spot over never been I usually leave a little sooner , if its foolproof I stay until dark and use the light coming out. I sit until I can't safely or legally make a good shot, then I pack up.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:27 am

Entrance and exit are just as important. Leaving quietly is just as important as entering IMO.
I stay til dark and you never know if maybe that buck you are hunting is just 100-150 yards out and you walking out noisey and careless tips him off.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 am

I too wait until dark and do a exit similar to my entrance, which is go slow and quiet.

I noticed if I a do run into deer they do not seem as spooked as when it is light out.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:12 pm

I usually exit my setups pretty loud, unless I plan to hunt he spot again. I do a lot of jumping around.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:48 pm

headgear wrote:I'm 100% public land so 99% of the time I have no regard for noise or trampling around anywhere. I sometimes will even climb down and head for the bedding area I am hunting to see if I can kick anything out of there, it might sound dumb but it lets me know a deer was in the bed and maybe they just didn't come out or they saw me setting up, any bit of intel I can gain is a good thing. I like to hunt to the bitter end just to see if anything comes by right at closing time. I also want to be the last one out of the wood and make sure to have my flashlight on. Those last minute low light conditions are no time to be walking around public land.

If I saw a buck and and planned on coming back the next night to hunt you bet I would sit tight and slip out of there as quite as possible. Same goes for private land, I wouldn't want to make a big scene or bump any deer on the way out.

x2
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:18 pm

WIth a firearm I like to still hunt out the last 15 minutes or so. With bow I sit 'til pitch black normally...

I generally don't care about my exit since that is how I entered and it is usually downwind of where I have been sitting. There is also normally a lot of hunting pressure between me and the truck. I rarely run into deer on the way out.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”