What if the beast is not in his bed??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

What if the beast is not in his bed??

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:21 am

Say you have located a bucks bed... You are able to get to a tree that gives a visual of his bed, and you arrive midday to catch him in the evening and when you get there he is not in the bed..... What do you guys do? abandon and move on to another and save for another day or do you stay hoping he comes by that evening. I would assume if he isn't there he probably wont be that day but I have no experience there :think:

Make It Happen
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What if the beast is not in his bed??

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:47 am

Once I got my scent there and burned that bridge I would stay there... Often there are other beds right in the same area. He might pick one over another cause of wind direction, foliage, or maybe just a whim... If you know its the only bed around I would move.
Buckfever
500 Club

Re: What if the beast is not in his bed??

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:53 pm

I've been on stand and 30 minutes later the buck busts out of his bed and circled north staying in the bedding thicket. I immediately moved my set and three days later he came out looking up at the tree I was in before. This bed was maybe 20 yards from the other bed.

This past season I was scouting out a late season hunt, kept working around the bedding with cams trying to isolate the bedding finally when I'd scented it up so much that I figured the hunt was ruined for the season I went in and located the bed.

So here it is:

There were three beds in the clump.

Couple pics of him:

Problem is he also had another bed about 15-20 yards away in another clump.

Me I'll spend three days in a row on a set and then that's done for the year. Because once you burn the bridge, that's go in there and leave your scent as soon as that intrusion is known, your odds went in the crapper. Maybe on a 2.5 year old you get another hand but not on a mature buck. You got to get him before he knows the first time he comes out before he knows there's an intrusion.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”