Deer Hunting Camcorder

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SHoff10

Deer Hunting Camcorder

Unread postby SHoff10 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:21 pm

I have a question for my fellow beasts. I am trying to get into self filming this year. I am not trying to do this professionally or anything but would love to be able to look back at my hunts (especially successful ones). I have a small Sony Handycam that works great. It has great zoom and isn't very pixelated when zoomed in. My question is, what camera arm would you recommend for hunting to use with the camera below.

Thank you.

“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
Chasman

Re: Deer Hunting Camcorder

Unread postby Chasman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:12 pm

I have same camera and use the Third Arm Mini. I really like it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
SHoff10

Unread postby SHoff10 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks Chasman,

How do you like using this camera? Does it work well? Low light?

I haven't used it in the field yet, but it works great for filming baseball and softball games. haha

Thank you.
“If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.” –Aristotle
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:17 am

I built my own camera arm and after buying the material and time building it, I would of been better off just buying the beast arm. No doubt there is satisfaction in building something, but now I have found faults with my design. Some of what you pay for in a good product is the in the field research and development to making it a quality product.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:14 am

Make sure the camera is compatible with your computer. I picked up a Apple Macbook air this year and my camera is not compatible with it. Looks like I'll be shopping for a new camera soon. Hope to find one that I know is compatible with Apple and easy to use.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:23 am

Is weight a big factor for you? Do you see yourself filming with a better camera in the future.

You can't go wrong with the lone wolf arm if you plan to stick with the small camcorders and self-filming. However, if you see yourself owning a better camera in the future and/or possibly filming for someone else, I recommend an intermediate arm with a good fluid head (e.g. Muddy Outfitter w/ manfrotto fluid head). The pro arms are great too, but the weight/size is a deal breaker for most.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Beast arm or lonewolf arm for that camera. Good to start with. If you wanna upgrade youll wanna go with muddy arms with fluid head like bassboys mentioned.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:38 pm

I have a little sony DCR SX83 which is the non HD version, similar to what you have posted. Its a nice little camera and works well for self filmed hunts. Plus the price is not out of this world if I happen to drop it out of a tree.

As far as a camera arm goes I am currently using a cheap gorilla mount that I borrowed from my buddy, but I modified it with some extra washers and bolts so it would hold position better and allow me to use quick straps instead of a ratchet strap...

needless to say I will be buying a beast arm, I think the biggest advantage of the beast are in the quick strap, stabilization screw, and the pistol grid head on the camera mount that allows you to swing and pivot the camera easily... what I have now is clunky and does not smoothly pan the camera

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”