What I've learned so far hunting BEAST style

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

What I've learned so far hunting BEAST style

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 am

I'm a week into my season here in PA and although I haven't scored on a buck yet hunting beast style, I have learned alot!

The biggest thing I've learned is that you can get extremely close to deer with a slow methodical thought-out approach to your stand. Before this season, I always thought that it was best just to buffalo my way into my stand early enough so that the woods had enough time to calm down and hopefully something moved through later. I didn't realize that I was ruining my hunt before it even began!

Now I have planned my entry based on the best wind direction and I TAKE MY TIME. I take my time with each step and even pause for a couple minutes every now an again during my approach. When my tree is in sight, I get the urge just to get over to it but I have to slow myself down and especially when I get there and I'm setting up my sticks/stand. I've actually walked up on deer two different times this year.

So what have you learned while hunting beast style this season?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: What I've learned so far hunting BEAST style

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:04 am

Pretty similar lesson. I now approach the tree I'm going to hunt like I am out scouting. I walk very slowly, pause often and try and really tune into my surroundings. I've also learned the beast hunting means the quantity of deer sightings goes down, but the number of bucks sightings has increased.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:59 pm

It's not easy! :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Today I learned that when wind or snow knock cattails down flat in the off season, the yearly trails change... I had to make a new trail to an island.
I also learned that bucks do bed in cattails in heavy wind cause two got out of beds in the wind in front of me today... ( I have made statements contrary to that recently :oops: ) I also got to witness a 1 1/2 y/o buck with a small rack rub an 8 inch diameter tree. There were a couple other rubs close by that were big and fresh on similar size trees, but the rub the young buck made was very low to the ground and because of his tight spread was just gouge lines from his tine tips.

Even I learn a thing or two when I go out... Just gotta pay attention and never get to the point where you think you know everything.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:39 pm

The biggest thing I have learned is there is much to be learned from everyone, if you just take the time to learn. Everyone brainstorming realy opens up ideas and useful ones. I think the best thing I have learned is I can get closer to buck beds than I am comfortable doing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Beast style hunting is not for the faint of heart. I have had plenty of sits without seeing deer and have had plenty of water filled boot hunts and long walks that didn't get me the results I wanted....

But I did break the ice last year for the first time and stuck a decent buck. Was a great night when it finally all came together. Makes you feel like you know what you are doing out there, even if it is just for one hunt out of many.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Another thing I want to add is that if it's daylight out, I ALWAYS have my release on my wrist when I'm walking in/out of a stand. I almost had gotten a shot at a doe on my approach to a stand in the evening this past week.

You just never know when an opportunity is going to present itself and as the rut winds up, I've seen bucks cruise by in front of me with their nose to the ground and not caring.
Tuck

Unread postby Tuck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:23 pm

I've learned to slow down. After I am suited up and ready to step off, I move into the woods and sit for 30 minutes before moving to my site. This allows me to focus on the task at hand and acclimatize to the surroundings. A good sign for me to move out is when squirrels and birds start to move again.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:33 am

Czabs wrote:It's not easy! :lol:

My thoughts exactly.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:35 am

Tuck wrote:I've learned to slow down. After I am suited up and ready to step off, I move into the woods and sit for 30 minutes before moving to my site. This allows me to focus on the task at hand and acclimatize to the surroundings. [glow=red]A good sign for me to move out is when squirrels and birds start to move again.[/glow]

This is a great point, whenever I am still hunting, if the birds and squirrels are not acting 'normal', I know I am going too fast and disrupting the woods.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:27 am

The biggest thing Ive learned Beast hunting so far.... TO REALIZE ALL THE MISTAKES I WAS MAKING B4 THE BEAST :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I now see things that I used to do that was really hurting my chances.

I think the very biggest mistake I would make : I wouldn't dare get anywhere near as close to a buck bed as I have been late last year and this season.

I think back and know of a buck I really tried to close the deal on in 1998. He was a big mature 9 point. I only seen him 2 times during the entire season with daylight left. Both times he was headed in my direction and he never had time to make it to my stand before darkness fell on me. I was "afraid" to try and close in on him. I figured I would have the opportunity to get him once firearms season rolled around. By then however by game was well over and never seen him again during the season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”