The drag out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

The drag out

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:07 am

I was flipping through the October issue of Field & Stream this morning (pg 18) and saw a tip on how to use a couple ropes to make a deer drag.

The one rope had a caribiner type hook at one end and went around the front hooves and neck with the caribiner coming up away from the animals head/hooves. The second rope was essentially a circle which was doubled up with the middle then clipped into the caribiner. The arms then go through each of the ends and off you go.

Here is a pic.

Seeing how the hooves are tied to the head got me thinking of a conversation I had with Magicman last week. He was talking about leaving deer overnight sometimes and tying them up like that before you leave them so they are all stiff with legs not cooperating in the right direction for the drag out.

So what say you, any tips on dragging them out. Sleds, other devices, advice on dragging, advice on loading them in the vehicles, lets hear it.

Its dragging out season

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Re: The drag out

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks for sharing

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:39 am

I just use my hunter safty sytem and clip on caribeaner to the back of harness ..put rope around deers neck just luke a tree and have at it

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:25 am

This is what I use. Works better than any other type of sled I have used and pulls super easy on any surface. I made a few modifications to mine by adding a 3 foot section of PVC pipe for a pulling handle. Just roll deer up like a giant buritto and hide is completely protected from drag burns in case you want to mount your deer.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trophy-T ... l+Products

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:33 am

Great tip.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:44 am

BigHunt wrote:I just use my hunter safty sytem and clip on caribeaner to the back of harness ..put rope around deers neck just luke a tree and have at it

I have done that too, and also like many others I'm sure, just grab a couple hooves or if you are lucky enough to have some "handles" grabem and go.

And Dewey thanks for putting that up too, wanted to see some sled options as well.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:02 am

Hey guys,

Here's what I find works well and it's cheap and effective. I take my rope which I usually use to hoist my stand up with and tie the legs to the neck of the deer as pictured in original post...as long as I'm not concerned about mounting the deer, in which case I suppose I'd rather have some kind of sled to pull the deer out on. Then, I take the loose end of the rope and wrap it several times around a thick branch/stick and I've got a pull handle. When I walk, I hold the stick handle with both hands behind my back. Be sure not to walk too far away from the deer as this will make it more difficult to pick the head up a bit should you need to navigate over logs and such. Also, you don't want to be too close where you are constantly holding the front half of the deer up in the air. Also, you want the rope to wrap over the top of the stick toward the deer. This will help reduce fatigue in your hands and act sort of like a brake. If the stick seems to want to unravel in your hand from the weight of the deer pulling back at you (hopefully dead weight, not still alive), flip the stick and you should be good to go. Hope this helps.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:11 am

Ill tell ya what's slick for dragging out does is Glens deer handle. I loop the legs up with the head and start dragging. Works awesome! Friend and I tried tying a doe upside down to a log like the early settlers did, boy Ill never do that again. Lol

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:16 am

kenn1320 wrote:Ill tell ya what's slick for dragging out does is Glens deer handle. I loop the legs up with the head and start dragging. Works awesome! Friend and I tried tying a doe upside down to a log like the early settlers did, boy Ill never do that again. Lol

Nice, that thing looks sweet. I want one.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:36 am

I drag out 30+ does a year. Nothing compares to a square bale hay hook. Hook them underneath the bottom jaw and off you go. I can drag two does, one hook in each hand faster than one doe with a rope.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/156214/ ... 011233256s
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:35 pm

I have tied the legs before to bring the streamline with the body. Also have cut the front legs at the knee joints to streamline them. Sleds work well, but having a stretcher to carry my buck out from deep in the swamp worked very well.

I also have brought in a wheel barrel to tranport the deer on an open trail or field.. It balances the weight well and is easier than draging on a big deer.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:36 pm

8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:20 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Ill tell ya what's slick for dragging out does is Glens deer handle. I loop the legs up with the head and start dragging. Works awesome! Friend and I tried tying a doe upside down to a log like the early settlers did, boy Ill never do that again. Lol

I have a Glens Deer Handle as well and works great for short drags.

Forgot to mention I also have a Yukon Tracks deer cart as well for flat dry surfaces and logging roads.

If I put one down in deeper water in marshes I have a large Otter Sled to float them out.

Every situation is different so I like to have plenty of options.

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:23 pm

I picked up three over the summer for this fall, one for myself, my father and my hunting buddy. We dragged my buck 150 yards uphill last year and the worst part was bending the whole time grabbing the antlers. I think using this and being able to stand up will really help out.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:33 pm

We have tele-check....so I just call them in, block them up and carry them out.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”