Deer SNORT

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Deer SNORT

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:00 pm

When you guys have been on the stand, and see and hear a deer snort, how do you think other deer nearby react?

I had a cool encounter with a young buck tonight. He was super close (10 feet) and I was hunting from the ground, no blind, just concealed really good. So the buck steps in front of me, walks about 15 feet to stand and scan the staging area in front of him before going any farther. So I watched him for several minutes and noticed he was walking in the direction to catch my wind.

Sure enough 5 minutes later I see him almost jump 2 feet backwards, because he was directly in my scent trail. My milkweed seeds were earlier in the afternoon almost hitting a tree where the little buck busted my wind.

He actually snorted 4 times without a pause! He only ran a few feet looking around and snorted 3 more times before heading on up the hill opposite of my setup.

SO, that got me thinking, about if there were any bucks coming from the bedding area he came from.....IF SO, how do you guys think they may have reacted? I never seen any other deer except a doe at closing time.

I have never had the opportunity to see how deer out of sight of a "snorter" reacts????

NCmedic

Re: Deer SNORT

Unread postby NCmedic » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:20 pm

I had a doe do that to me... that was a first, wasn't a good feeling! I figurd my hunt was done but I'd like to know as well how snorting affects other deer. I'm assuming it'd alert other deer in the area to stay clear of the potential danger but maybe they don't care sometimes.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm sure most of the time the other deer especially mature ones will avoid the area although I have seen some almost seem curious and come to check out what the commotion is for themselves. It all depends on the personality of the deer.

One time I was busted by a doe during the peak of the rut and she snorted at me for a good 10 minutes before finally vacating the area. I was sure my hunt was done and thought about relocating. Shortly after a 130" buck came in searching for the doe until he got an arrow thru both lungs! Pretty sure in that case a snorting deer actually worked in my favor! :think:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:12 pm

I was still hunting about 3 weeks ago and bumped a decent buck from the edge of the corn. He only went about 40yds into the brush and stopped. I froze. Several minutes later 4 does come along slowly browsing their way towards me. They were pretty darn close to me (15 yds?) when the buck snorted a few times and ran another 20 yds.

Those does instantly became alert. The first movement any of them made was the biggest doe stomping. It was a while before they resumed browsing but they were clearly still nervous.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Its certainly not a good thing, but I have busted sattalite deer, had them run right thru the buck bedding area and then a buck get up later from the bedding and come in... I have had deer snort and a little while later a nice buck come in, or see him have little reaction.... But I have seen them avoid it to... Over all its not good to spook the non-targets, but it don't necessarily end your hunt either.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:10 am

I have never liked it and most of the time I sit wonder if the snort just messed my hunt up.
I have never relocated after a deer snorts....but curious what the effects may be.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:54 am

I agree, that it is not a good thing. During the youth hunt we had a doe and 2 fawns in front of us when another deer downwind from us, but well out of sight snorted. The doe raised her head and looked in that direction, but then continued on feeding. I have heard snorts while having deer in sight, and they usually react, but don't bust out of there either. I think they want confirmation of danger before the flee.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:05 am

Had a mama doe cut my track last night. She bounded back around 50 yards and stomped / snorted for a few minutes before bounding back into the thick bedding area. I figured every deer in the area would be nervous and avoid the area.

For the next 90 minutes, I saw 6 or 7 young bucks and about the same number of does. Around half of the deer were close and within bow range. None of the deer seemed particularly concerned until they got downwind of me.

BTW, three young bucks and three does came from downwind and passed by me within range.
"In the deed, the glory"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:08 am

I hate it when it happens. One of my main objectives is to hunt undetected. It definitely cuts down your chances of seeing a good buck. It is a much worse scenario before/after the rut than during the rut.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”