Deer Meat Aging

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woody-san

Deer Meat Aging

Unread postby woody-san » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes...

Do you guys age your deer meat? Some people say age it, some people say butcher right away. I understand the aging process helps to break down the meat and I can see how it would really be a good idea if I were to kill a big, mature buck 3.5 years +. However, I've butchered my own deer after minimal aging (1-2 days) and after up to 6 days of aging. I haven't really been able to tell much difference in taste or texture and I have both mature doe kills from last year to base this on. The dvd I use as my butchering bible doesn't say much about aging and even seems to advocate immediate butchering after the kill. I guess my feeling on this is not to sweat the aging unless it's a big buck that could benefit from some tenderizing. I will say that I've killed a couple big (in body size) 2.5 year old deer that were just as tender as anything else, and they weren't aged more than a day or two. How do you guys normall handle aging?

DropTyne
500 Club

Re: Deer Meat Aging

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 am

I do not age the meat; butcher and eat. When we do kill deer up north during gun season they will sometimes hang for 4-5 days if it is cold enough. I wouldn't consider it aging, just the fact that we need running water and an indoor toilet before we need an area to butcher deer.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Woody, what temperature did you age your 6 day deer at? If the temp is below 40 degrees it will not begin the aging process. It made a huge difference in one of my deer last year. Best venison I have ever had and it was a 5 year old buck. Obviously too high of a temp will spoil the meat.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:23 am

They always hang meat at the buthcer shop to age it. James is correct it needs to be at a certain temp. with the hide removed, under controlled conditions. Usually a walk in cooler, where you can hold a steady temp, and stable humidity and keep it free of dirt and bugs. I believe it is because enzymes begin to break down some of the muscle fibers, making the meat more tender and flavorful. I have never "aged" my venison, because I don't have the proper equipment, but would if I could.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 am

James, the deer that was aged for 6 days was aged at temperatures between 32-40F. It was hanging from my parents deck, so it wasn't controlled, that's just what the temperatures were that week. What temperature did you use on that 5 year old? Was it outdoors or do you have a meat cooler?
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:37 am

i think i read once that the benoits like to hang their deer for 30 days and brush the inside of the carcass with salt water? ill have to look that up , my dad has the book from years ago. , i butcher em soon as possible. or bring em to the locker plant if im restricted with time.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:13 am

I had read something in Bowhunter last year about aging for a very long time (3-4 weeks). It makes sense because the really upscale steak houses do wet or dry aging on beef. I've even heard that mold forms in the aging process and that you can just trim it off.
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:54 pm

I have done all my own deer for the past 10 years and always age mine. I block it out, put it in garbage bags and I remove the lower rack out of my beer fridge (beer gods please forgive me), and leave it 5-7 days. The most important step it to remove any white be it fat, tendon, ligament, silverside; any of those will taint the meat. Then I cut into steaks, fajita meat, prep the straps and tenderloins and grind whatever scraps leftover for my burger mixing in 10% fat. I love doing it, from the field to the table I do it all.
Mountain Archer

Unread postby Mountain Archer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Like buck_junkie said I age all my deer in a refridgerater for usually nine days, I have left it up to eleven days, with a temperature of 35 to 38 degrees. I also if possible never let water or anything else touch the meat. All I can say is my wife and I love it. HAVE A NICE NIGHT.
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Mountain Archer wrote:Like buck_junkie said I age all my deer in a refridgerater for usually nine days, I have left it up to eleven days, with a temperature of 35 to 38 degrees. I also if possible never let water or anything else touch the meat. All I can say is my wife and I love it. HAVE A NICE NIGHT.

I do 5-7 but nothing wrong with longer, just haven't tried it yet. Do you freeze it a certain amount of time before you eat it? "The Book" says 90 days to kill all bacteria, but it usually don't last that long in our household. We haven't got sick yet. But I am wanting to try like you said 9-11 days.
Mountain Archer

Unread postby Mountain Archer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:32 pm

I,ve never heard of the 90 day rule, and like you I have never got sick.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:35 pm

Just broke open my original copy of "how to bag the biggest buck or your life" by Larry Benoit. He states that hanging tenderizes the venison. You should always hang a deer by it's hind quarters because a buck is to magnificent an animal to hang by it's head. If it's cold out he will hang them for a month. If it's warm out hang them for a week to ten days. The first thing he does is spread the rib cage and cleans out the blood, dirt, and leaves with a rag soaked in vinegar or salt. Then wipe the cavity dry. Then boil water and salt until an egg can float in it. Then paint the inside of the cavity with one coat. Plug any bullet holes with raw salt. That's it, then just let it hang. If your deer is badly shot up I.e. Shoulder, pelvic, neck, or back reduce curing time to three or four days. Keep your shots in the rib cage boys if you want to cure the meat!
DROPTYNE

buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:44 pm

pretty cool info. I'd never dream of hanging one for a month.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:21 pm

I clean all my deer with vinegar and water. I carry it in the truck all season.

Aging/hanging depends on the weather for me.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:40 am

I have never done it either. makes me wonder how much better vension can really get!
DROPTYNE

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”