Doe Estrus for mature bucks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Doe Estrus for mature bucks?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:20 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Bucky wrote:No scent for this guy.... wish I had the $$$ I wasted in my younger years

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image

X10
:lol:

A lot of it went to scent killer and Tinks 69.

whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:27 pm

X100

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
voslos

Unread postby voslos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:49 am

The problem with store bought doe estrus urine is that after 2-3 days after collecting the urine it has lost all the pheromones that were in it. The pheromones are what attracts the bucks. It is a waste of money. I just received a bunch of lures and scents from two separate trappers that collect the glands from deer and make their owns scents. The hot doe scent is 70% urine and 30% glands. Glands like the tarsal, vaginal gland, interdigital, etc. I'm excited to see how these work.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:55 am

I used to get pretty much the same results as everyone else when I used scents.......Young bucks only. Matter of fact a few years ago a buddy of mine was up from TX during the rut and he wanted to use some code blue on the doe decoy I have had great success with. The buck he ended up killing was a 4.5 year old, but when he got downwind of the deke and could smell the scent he started to boogger and He shot him when he was turning to leave the area.......I think they do more harm than good on wary bucks, if I use anything now it is usually tarsal glands off a doe taken right close to the rut or during the rut.
tmoney22

Unread postby tmoney22 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:51 pm

A lot of good responses here but speaking for myself, I have had moderate success with doe pee which i only buy from a personal source where it is extracted and overnighted to me. I have not killed any booners with it but have had plenty of 3 1/2 year old and younger bucks respond with positive results. I can honestly say that if your goal is to consistently shoot mature "wall hanger" bucks that this is not the ticket. Proper scouting and getting between doe bedding and food sources are going to be the best option. Unfortunately for some who do not have the luxury of hunting these type of places or for those who may not truely care for a wallhanger i would not rule this out. I will not bad mouth any product but what someone said earlier is the longer it sits i think the less potent per say that may be. Good luck to everyone with the rut activity picking up in Northeast Wisconsin.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:02 am

I've never been a big believer either in the attractants, but my cousin did shoot a nice buck tonight, and it came in hitting a mock scrape he started last week.... he used one of those drippers with "active" scent.... He said the buck came in right at 4:45 with another small buck. My cousin shot him as he was checking the scrape......

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”