Doe field exits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dkoy85

Doe field exits

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:20 am

Over the last 6 years I've noticed on a farm I used to hunt in OH, in the AM darkness jumping big heavy footed deer along fields where does exit and bucks never bed. It happens at least once a year. I feel very certain the deer I jump are mature bucks because of how close they let me get, always by themselves, and sounds like a moose! I have a theory on this and it pertains to the midday movement a lot of us see with mature bucks. After reading post after post I see most hunters, including myself, believe bucks will bed in the morning after late nights of chasing/cruising and then get up and move after theyve rested- showing themselves midday. In my opinion and observations I feel the mature bucks stage in doe field exits, waiting for each doe to walk by to see if any of them are coming into estrous. In fact the last couple times, I haven't kept record to years prior, I jumped a big body I've either shot or had an opportunity to shoot a mature buck midday that same day which seems to correlate with the all night chasing and staging theory. By the way midday hunts are by far my most successful and exciting hunts during the rut- This past year I shot my buck and my buddy shot his buck withing 1 minute of each other just past noon, nearly 150 yards away.

Because of this theory I'd really like to get everybodys observations on what terrain feature does like to exit the field in, in hill top field country. Do they exit on points, draws, corners, etc? My goal is to be in stand well before daylight the end of October thru November and hunt these staging areas the morning in an attempt to prove this theory wrong or right.

backstraps

Re: Doe field exits

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:37 am

I am not sure I can be of much help with my observations with your "doe exit staging theory" BUT.... When I have been in observation stands (also in Ohio) and have watched bucks exit the fields, they have almost always exited the fields via a draw.

There are a couple places I hunt in Ohio that the hilltops have been stripped mined years ago, now in grass and the sides of the hills are still in hardwoods. I have watched bucks make their way around the hilltop scenting the thermals from the woodlands. When they exited the field they always use the draws.

I have seen a couple instances where a buck was trailing a doe and he followed her off the field straight down a point into the woods. I would assume a bucks trailing a doe would follow her pretty much wherever she went.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:11 am

Jon Eberhart's books talk a lot about this. He figures that mature bucks stage and bed in primary scrape areas (areas within cover that are littered with scrapes or contain a few major scrapes in a small area with perimeter cover) in the morning darkness waiting for does to pass through after leaving the fields. Could be something similar?
"In the deed, the glory"
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 am

Jeff Murray talks about the overhead / underfoot Moon around noon, which urges the buck to feed. Thus, the buck moves around within cover to feed a little and satisfy his stomach.

Jeff also talks about mature bucks relocating from their security cover around midday to bed closer to doe family groups. This way, the buck gets to scent check all the local does as they make their way to the fields in the evening and he has a family of sentinels checking the trail and field for danger.
"In the deed, the glory"
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Off subject, sorry, but damn - tell us about that avatar picture of three dandy bucks!!!
Maybe start another post...?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:52 am

jakedeaver wrote:Jeff Murray talks about the overhead / underfoot Moon around noon, which urges the buck to feed. Thus, the buck moves around within cover to feed a little and satisfy his stomach.

Jeff also talks about mature bucks relocating from their security cover around midday to bed closer to doe family groups. This way, the buck gets to scent check all the local does as they make their way to the fields in the evening and he has a family of sentinels checking the trail and field for danger.

That's an interesting thought! I've witnessed bucks scent checking the downwind side of beds midday but never saw them bedding near the beds, however, I am still very young to hunting the rut (6 years) so I'm hoping I get to witness this!

Edcyclopedia wrote:Off subject, sorry, but damn - tell us about that avatar picture of three dandy bucks!!!
Maybe start another post...?

I'd love to share the story. I'll make a post hopefully a little later today or early next week.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:10 am

dkoy85 wrote:That's an interesting thought! I've witnessed bucks scent checking the downwind side of beds midday but never saw them bedding near the beds, however, I am still very young to hunting the rut (6 years) so I'm hoping I get to witness this!

Jeff Murray and Myles Keller discuss this in his book "Moon Phase Deer Hunting." Myles has used this knowledge directly to kill a few of his mature bucks. I have never seen this, but Myles word is a good as gold as far as I am concerned.
"In the deed, the glory"
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:13 am

jakedeaver wrote:
dkoy85 wrote:That's an interesting thought! I've witnessed bucks scent checking the downwind side of beds midday but never saw them bedding near the beds, however, I am still very young to hunting the rut (6 years) so I'm hoping I get to witness this!

Jeff Murray and Myles Keller discuss this in his book "Moon Phase Deer Hunting." Myles has used this knowledge directly to kill a few of his mature bucks. I have never seen this, but Myles word is a good as gold as far as I am concerned.

I have a North American Whitetail book called "For big bucks". Its written by Jeff and there is a chapter "bucks on the back 40" meaning farmland bucks. Myles strategy is to sit in a fence line untill he starts to see rutting activity going on then once he knows its going he moves in and hunts the does bedroom. He said "that is where you will find the big boys chomping at the bit".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”