can i use a diffrent saftey harness

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Riverdeer
Facebook: Drake Richie

can i use a diffrent saftey harness

Unread postby Riverdeer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:48 am

other than the one that came with my summit viper classic, I know this is probally a really stupid question? thanks guys

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: can i use a diffrent saftey harness

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:57 am

Riverdeer wrote:other than the one that came with my summit viper classic, I know this is probally a really stupid question? thanks guys

Oh yeah, plenty of choices out there that are much better quality. Look at Hunter Safety Systems, Muddy, etc.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:03 am

I would recommend it, The ones that come with stands are like a puzzle wrapped in a riddle and doused in mystery. No fun trying to mess with those things in the woods. I have a Muddy harness and love it, HSS makes great harnesses also.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:07 am

I've had years of great service out of my hunter safety systems.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:21 am

Yes there are many great alternatives that are way more user friendly. I would recommend watching some youtube videos of people setting up stands to see the difderent features you may want. Whatever brand you decide to get, i would recommend a harness with a lineman's belt attachment and also rope style tether with prussic knot.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:35 am

I would not waste my money on another HSS vest style harness. A couple of years ago, I bought a rock climbing harness and I couldn't be happier. Lighter, less bulk, simpler, more adjustable, etc. And finally (IMO), a rock climbing harness is safer than "hunting" style harnesses. You attach in front of your body about at your belly button, so in the event of catastrophic failure the tether will spin your body facing the tree with the attachment point right in front of you (not above and behind your head while facing away from the tree). IMO by facing the tree with the attachment point in front of you just above midsection, a person is much less likely to get stuck without the ability maneuver and much less likely to die of suspension trauma.

Check them out:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/s ... -Harnesses
"In the deed, the glory"
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:48 am

Riverdeer - I have been reading a ton on this forum and have to agree with jakedeaver. The rock climbing units look like the way to go. Overall much more versatile. Good luck and be safe!
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:55 am

I've been thinking quite a bit about the rock climbing harnesses.

How are they given the attachment point, whilst in the stand and for hunting (drawing a bow, spinning around, etc.)?
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Riverdeer
Facebook: Drake Richie

Unread postby Riverdeer » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:09 am

thanks guys, you guys have helped so much in such a short period of time, I 'think' i figured out why i wasn't seein any deer from where ii had my stand placed, there was a ton of acorn trees back behind my stand, also they is a ton of thick buck brush i belive they are bedding down in, i just wasn't back there far enough with them!
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 am

phade wrote:How are they given the attachment point, whilst in the stand and for hunting (drawing a bow, spinning around, etc.)?

I wouldn't say that the tether is anymore in the way than a traditional hunting harness. I just strap in and make sure that I keep the tether on my right-hand side and keep the tether snug while seated. This keeps it out of the way for a right-handed shooter. Also with the attachment point at your midsection, you don't need near as much slack in the tether to maneuver on stand (as opposed to a tradition hunting harness and tether). So, you should not fall near as far in the event of treestand failure.

For the tether, I have been using the lineman's belt that was included with my treesaddle. But, the carabiner can clang on the metal adjuster, so I ordered a Summit rope/prussic tether. This system should be quieter with the prussic in lieau of the metal adjuster. Also, the prussic should not hold its place better while not snug (the metal adjuster can loosen some and lose its place while seat).

http://www.summitstands.com/treestand-h ... h-no-hooks
Last edited by JakeJD on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In the deed, the glory"
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:21 am

The red arrow depicts where I attach the tether to the harness via a locking carabiner

"In the deed, the glory"
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:05 am

jakedeaver wrote: A couple of years ago, I bought a rock climbing harness and I couldn't be happier. Lighter, less bulk, simpler, more adjustable, etc. And finally (IMO), a rock climbing harness is safer than "hunting" style harnesses.

Agreed! After switching to a rock climbing harness this year I have realized hunting harnesses are a rip-off when you look at quality per cost.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:33 am

I use a rock climbing harness as well. I will never go back to a conventional harness personally. However, the conventional harnesses are "fall arrest harnesses". They are designed to spread out the impact from a fall as much as possible. I bet if you fell 6 ft in a rock climbing harness you would experience much more fall shock and bruising than if you fell using a fall arrest harness. However, in reality if you use your climbing gear to its full potential you really wont fall much farther than a couple ft, and with the rock climbing harness you will end up in a position where you will be able to climb right back onto your stand. So the rock climbing harness is good as long as you keep your situation under control and as with any other harness keep your lifeline tether as short as you feel comfortable falling. Its good you are doing some research theres some people on here that know a ton about this stuff.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:22 am

I have a gorilla g-20 and love it. i heard the gorilla g-30 is better though. Anything is better than the ones that come with the treestands. I love having my buckles and it only takes me a few seconds to get it on and a half second to take it off.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”