Persuading my deer loving aunt to hunt her land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Persuading my deer loving aunt to hunt her land

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Ok the title says it all...

She loves deer and she doesn't think there is enough of them. She also doesn't like ME because I kill animals, eat them, drink beer, fart, yell during Thanksgiving because the Packers fumbled the ball, shoot guns, don't support Obama, you know...the list goes on and on. You can tell, she's just pretty annoyed by me.

Well I got a hold of her email this last spring and decided to ask her If I could turkey hunt her land....suprisingly after a 100 questions she actually said It would be fine...I ended up not going, but I really wanted to go and "turkey hunt" for big buck beds :L: .

I'm trying to think of a way to ask her or to let me hunt her land. This land is about 20 acres maybe a little bigger and It already consists of some pretty good bedding. All I really want to do is make more bedding, maybe put in a pond, maybe a food plot or two and monitor the property with trail cameras. And once and if that big boy decides he loves the little safe haven I built him, I want to move in for the kill.

Any suggestions on how to go about asking? Anyone been in a similar situation? :mrgreen:

BigHunt

Re: Persuading my deer loving aunt to hunt her land

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Czabs wrote:Ok the title says it all...

She loves deer and she doesn't think there is enough of them. [glow=red]She also doesn't like ME because I kill animals, eat them, drink beer, fart, yell during Thanksgiving because the Packers fumbled the ball, shoot guns, don't support Obama, you know...the list goes on and on. You can tell, she's just pretty annoyed by me.[/glow]

Well I got a hold of her email this last spring and decided to ask her If I could turkey hunt her land....suprisingly after a 100 questions she actually said It would be fine...I ended up not going, but I really wanted to go and "turkey hunt" for big buck beds :L: .

I'm trying to think of a way to ask her or to let me hunt her land. This land is about 20 acres maybe a little bigger and It already consists of some pretty good bedding. All I really want to do is make more bedding, maybe put in a pond, maybe a food plot or two and monitor the property with trail cameras. And once and if that big boy decides he loves the little safe haven I built him, I want to move in for the kill.

Any suggestions on how to go about asking? Anyone been in a similar situation? :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sounds like me except the beer drinking part
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Czabs wrote:Ok the title says it all...

She loves deer and she doesn't think there is enough of them. [glow=red]She also doesn't like ME because I kill animals, eat them, drink beer, fart, yell during Thanksgiving because the Packers fumbled the ball, shoot guns, don't support Obama, you know...the list goes on and on. You can tell, she's just pretty annoyed by me.[/glow]

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 am

Gather scientific and statistical data supporting your hunting argument (supportive evidence for over browsing and over population). Let her know your planned habitat improvements will support more numbers and a more diverse wildlife presence on her property. Unfortunately for you if she is an Obamabot, she won't understand facts. So do what works for them, 1.) Lie 2.) Lie 3.) Lie 4.) Appeal to her emotions, tell her you very concerned the survival rates of the native browse and by removing one deer a year, you can save several pounds of native plant species a day. :D Or tell her you will donate the meat to a shelter to help feed the hungry. If she's a bleeding heart liberal, make sure she knows the deer are causing sufferage to something else.
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:10 am

Redman232 wrote:Gather scientific and statistical data supporting your hunting argument (supportive evidence for over browsing and over population). Let her know your planned habitat improvements will support more numbers and a more diverse wildlife presence on her property. Unfortunately for you if she is an Obamabot, she won't understand facts. So do what works for them, 1.) Lie 2.) Lie 3.) Lie 4.) Appeal to her emotions, tell her you very concerned the survival rates of the native browse and by removing one deer a year, you can save several pounds of native plant species a day. :D Or tell her you will donate the meat to a shelter to help feed the hungry. If she's a bleeding heart liberal, make sure she knows the deer are causing sufferage to something else.

Yes!! And also tell her car insurance rates are sky rocketing in our country because of deer /
vehicle collisions, and the only way to save cars from getting hit is,by taking at least 1 deer per year from her land... And accorrding to national data it appears that bucks are the culprit, so the only way you can help her from being forced from her home and land because she cant afford any of it because of the car insurance rates is by taking out the Godfather of the deer family... 8 points or bigger.....seem to be leading this uprise!!! :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by BuckTrack81 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
obrion

Unread postby obrion » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:20 am

Either ask her face to face. Or find someone who she really likes ask (that is of course that person likes you). Asking via email is a very quick way to get an easy no from her.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:54 am

If she doesn't like you due to the reasons you listed......I say move on and remove her from your Christmas card list!!
You sound like the majority of "good ole boys" I know and call friends!

Or.....since she is an Obummer fan just tell her you are "entitled" to hunt her land

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Busch Light Bandit

Unread postby Busch Light Bandit » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:02 am

Tell her you will vote for Obama in the next election...
All good things come to those who shoot straight
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:03 am

It might worth it to promise her you won't shoot any "cute" does, fawns or young bucks and will only shoot a big old buck. It might also be worth mentioning you will improve the habitat and make a safe haven for the deer, save for the big ol boy you want to shoot.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:28 am

I agree with head gear.

Tell her your improvements to her land will keep deer in her area. You are not setting out to destroy the herd in that area, only manage them. Let her know that the things you are doing will benifit the whole deer herd and more deer will benifit from it than the one buck per year that you MIGHT harvest. Ensure her you will not be hunting it that often, and you only plan to harvest a mature buck, that can actually injure the younger bucks, hurt does during the rut, and push other deer off of her property. Paint the picture of some big bully walking around picking on all the other deer.

Share your trail camera pictures with her, and let her know that your improvements to her land will greatly increase the ammount of time that deer, as well as other animals will utilize her property.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:21 am

Treat her like any other landowner in the same situation. Be polite to her and though you don't appear to really want to look at a few things from her stand point. She loves the wildlife and enjoys seeing them. She's obviously from a quieter upbringing so maybe simply going to her place and sitting down and talking to / getting to know her better will get you back on better footing. As stated see if you not shooting anything but those big tree shredding slobs will get you better results. It's her property, you'll have to probably change your mannerisms around her to show her you're really serious about respecting her and her property.

I had a farm that I couldn't hunt but kept stopping in and talking to the landowner for nearly 5 years before they let me doe hunt only. After a couple years of that i got the green light on anything. Ive shot a 140, 143, 146, 157,and a 159 off that property since. Persistance and politeness can go a LONG ways.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:25 am

I like all the responses. I think I'm going to type a letter up to email or send to her. I don't even plan to hunt it this year. I want to scout it right now and start planning for spring planting next year, I will probably put a trail camera up as well. I hope this works. :pray: . Thanks guys.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 am

muddy wrote:Treat her like any other landowner in the same situation. Be polite to her and though you don't appear to really want to look at a few things from her stand point. She loves the wildlife and enjoys seeing them. She's obviously from a quieter upbringing so maybe simply going to her place and sitting down and talking to / getting to know her better will get you back on better footing. As stated see if you not shooting anything but those big tree shredding slobs will get you better results. It's her property, you'll have to probably change your mannerisms around her to show her you're really serious about respecting her and her property.

I had a farm that I couldn't hunt but kept stopping in and talking to the landowner for nearly 5 years before they let me doe hunt only. After a couple years of that i got the green light on anything. Ive shot a 140, 143, 146, 157,and a 159 off that property since. Persistance and politeness can go a LONG ways.

SOLID advice here!
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:55 am

muddy wrote:Treat her like any other landowner in the same situation. Be polite to her and though you don't appear to really want to look at a few things from her stand point. She loves the wildlife and enjoys seeing them. She's obviously from a quieter upbringing so maybe simply going to her place and sitting down and talking to / getting to know her better will get you back on better footing. As stated see if you not shooting anything but those big tree shredding slobs will get you better results. It's her property, you'll have to probably change your mannerisms around her to show her you're really serious about respecting her and her property.

Muddy is spot on. I wouldn't ask for quite some time. Get to know her better first. Stop by just to stop by, but keep your intentions good. If all you want to do is hunt, then don't stop at all. I would start by asking to mushroom hunt, shed hunt, etc. Like Muddy, I just got permission to hunt a farm after 5 years of trying. I shed hunted it for 5 years before getting permission. Believe it or not, my wife and I are the only ones to be given permission in many years, and even family can't get access. Now we are good friends and look forward to each others company.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:21 am

I think this is more about persuading you that it's worth the effort. I would just call her and tell her that you wanted to talk to her about deer hunting her property and would she mind if you come over for coffee to talk about it. Tell her you'll bring the coffee cake. So spend some time with her I wouldn't even talk about the hunting and then just when you're leaving ask her what she thinks about you hunting there. Then whatever she says just give her a hug.

I think she probably just wants your attention.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”