My Trail of Scent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

My Trail of Scent

Unread postby Chasman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:42 pm

I sat a Private unhunted piece of land tonight after shinning a good buck last Thursday. Marsh with 50yds of Oaks that leads into fresh cut alfalfa field. A long nose Ma doe smelled me and was snooping around my tree for 25 minutes. She had a nubbie with her but the way she sniffed every thing I walked by, touched, or walked on is just crazy. She knew I was there just never seen me. I have had this happen before always Ma Does. I think I can get into spots and be undetected but never, never happens with the Whitetail.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: My Trail of Scent

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:22 pm

I got in a pre hung stand a few days ago and as soon as I got in the stand a couple does got up from beds that watch my entrance and headed straight to the trail I walked on and slowly tracked me right to the tree base. When the trail went no farther they just looked around then walked out to the food plot to feed. No fawns, just two adult does.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:47 pm

I should put a trail camera on my tree after I sit it and see if there is a difference between Bucks and Does and the wsy they react to intrusion.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 am

Here's my post from my second hunt this bow season:

I was on stand for five minutes this afternoon when I heard a noise behind me. Here came a young doe, nose to the ground tracking me like a coon dog! She stopped 40 yards from me, snorted three times and left the way she came. Man I hate it when they do that! That's it for today. bridge out ...

No prehung stand, she must have watched / smelled / heard me on my way in.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:54 am

Same thing happened to me last night, I set up a stand last winter but forgot pole saw for a couple particular branches. So I took with me then placed entire pole saw saw except one foot in water and hunted. I thought I was pretty slick
I ended up with very large matriarch, two does, two button bucks walking in belly deep water right up the saw handle...SOB..I could hear her telling two button bucks: This is what you want to avoid, smell that?? It's a beast killer, if you ever make it past your third birthday, never, ever hang around if you catch of wiff of this, now lets walk in circles and figure out where he came from...By then it should be well after dark and we can mosey up to someone's bait pile.

They then spent ten minutes wandering in graduated circles pickup up contact transfer scent for about 30 yards them slinked off..SOB IT WAS SUPPOSSED TO BE RAINING!! lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”