Its the "October lull"

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Re: Its the "October lull"

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:21 pm

My season would probably qualify as a lull! No sightings so far in three short sits, but things will get better (or maybe I should say they can't get any worse).

Suspected that one of the bedding areas I found was going to require some pressure to put a deer in it, and it looks like this is happening now. Just need the right wind and some time, I can dive in and hopefully get a glimpse and maybe seal the deal.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Changing food sources, changing hormone levels, leaf drop, hunting pressure, [glow=red]stagnant weather patterns (too warm or just not much change in weather)[/glow] all these contribute to the October lull I think.

I have had pretty good success getting onto bucks during this time still. I think the next 10 days are prime. Targeting bedding is more important than ever - that bedding needs to be close to food sources preferred at the moment AND I really try to pick the best weather conditions to hunt in this time of year. As was also mentioned, some in season scouting can pay off right now - hunt that hot sign because deer are moving less, that means when you find the sign they will be close by. I also start picking up the horns occasionally for a very light and short sparing sequence at first light or last light next to where I think the big boy is bedding.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Dewey wrote:Food sources and hunting pressure are changing movement. They are still out there but we just need to adapt and figure out where they are. This is the time when your scouting efforts can really pay off.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Backstraps wrote:I too do not believe in the famous "Oct lull".

I think it simply requires a change in hunting strategies to adapt to the changing buck patterns

I agree with both of these.

I do not believe in a "October Lull". For us it's a change from summer to a fall pattern, I think caused by harvested corn, yellowing beans, and most of all acorns starting to drop. My son went yesterday morning before work and seen 23 deer, 10 of which were bucks with 2 shooters. All up until 8:30am. No lull here.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 am

I would have to disagree with most and say there is somewhat of a lull this time of year. Opening weekend alot of deer get shot off of their summer patterns and get caught off guard. Just look back on here during opening week and notice how many bucks were shot. After that it slowed way down. In two weeks buck kills will go back up.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:04 am

solocam88 wrote:I would have to disagree with most and say there is somewhat of a lull this time of year. Opening weekend alot of deer get shot off of their summer patterns and get caught off guard. Just look back on here during opening week and notice how many bucks were shot. After that it slowed way down. In two weeks buck kills will go back up.

I agree.

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:47 am

I honestly hate the term lull. Crops are getting taken out are the biggest reasons their patterns are changing up and ones sightings are down IMO. There still out there but you have to adapt. I've never heard anyone say there's a lull when bear hunting or elk hunting gets tough.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:59 am

Schultzy wrote:I honestly hate the term lull. Crops are getting taken out are the biggest reasons their patterns are changing up and ones sightings are down IMO. There still out there but you have to adapt. I've never heard anyone say there's a lull when bear hunting or elk hunting gets tough.

I totally agree. Sightings go way down when guys sit in their usual early spots expecting to see the deer they watched all summer and the first few weeks of the season.

This is a time of big change in a whitetails world with bachelor groups splitting up, pecking orders being sorted out, food sources changing and hunting pressure changing travel patterns. The deer didn't go anywhere but instead altered the way they have been living all summer/early fall. Bucks become loners and head to more secure areas. Now more than ever is the best time to use what you learned while scouting and get yourself set up in the bucks staging area. Outside of that zone you will have a very hard time seeing any daylight movement.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Schultzy wrote:I honestly hate the term lull. Crops are getting taken out are the biggest reasons their patterns are changing up and ones sightings are down IMO. There still out there but you have to adapt. I've never heard anyone say there's a lull when bear hunting or elk hunting gets tough.

Good point Schultzy and Dewey. I would agree if hunters see less this time of year it is more of a reflection of inappropriate tactics for the conditions than just blaming it on the deer not making it easy for us.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:07 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:I definitely feel the lull every year. No doubt the hunting gets tougher.

Hunt fresh sets on fresh sign. Hope for the best.

My favorite period to smash a doe.

X2....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:38 pm

I think we are saying the same things in different ways, and not totally disagreeing with all the factors, but I definitely see a lull at this time. I live in SE MI which has the highest density of the states 300,000 + archery hunters, not to mention small game, duck, turkey, etc... They go more nocturnal with more hunters in the woods seems logical to me and we see less deer, hence the term.

But I am just getting started. Three outings zero deer sightings.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Been covered up in deer since the opener Oct. 1. behind the house in National Forest. Seen 50 from stands and 15 racked bucks..all little . I see them every year..little yearling 5', 6's, 8's..etc. in this spot if it has white oak and red oak acorn and it does this year. Never seen a decent buck in this area.

My problem is I can't get a shot..too thick, behind me, down wind smelling me and I can't move on them...the Does I'm talking about. I'd like to kill one for some meat and move on back where I know the big ones hang out..but seeing deer every day it's hard to pull out.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:12 pm

hoyt wrote:Been covered up in deer since the opener Oct. 1. behind the house in National Forest. Seen 50 from stands and 15 racked bucks..all little . I see them every year..little yearling 5', 6's, 8's..etc. in this spot if it has white oak and red oak acorn and it does this year. Never seen a decent buck in this area.

My problem is I can't get a shot..too thick, behind me, down wind smelling me and I can't move on them...the Does I'm talking about. I'd like to kill one for some meat and move on back where I know the big ones hang out..but seeing deer every day it's hard to pull out.

I would say that I need to get over there with you but I wont even fly over Illinois...... :lol:

Glad your having a good October.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”