WHY I LOVE HUNTING PUBLIC LAND IN PA (NO HARVEST)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

WHY I LOVE HUNTING PUBLIC LAND IN PA (NO HARVEST)

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:04 am

What a way to start off my 2013 archery season. I was traveling up a strip road boadering a coal company, at 20 til 5 in the morning trying to get to my spot early to beat the crowds, and hopefully deter any other guys from hunting in the area I had picked, when I see this old guy walking, no flash light and all beat up looking in a tank top and shorts.

I stop and ask if he needed help, forgetting that I had facepaint on. He said "Please buddy I needs some help. My wife and I were out boozing and got the truck burried somehwere up here". I said " I'll help ya out get in." Knowing that there is a loaded pistol beside me, calmed my nerves, but I almost got drunk off of his jack Daniels breath.

So I am flying to take him to his daughters house as he tells me,"I maded it to the highway over there but.... I have to tell ya I am a wanted man for DUI back fine payments in these parts, so I had to climb back up the mountain away from the main road." I see he learned his lesson really well. Knowing where this route was, he had to climb the steepest part of the mountain wich is mostly green briar, rocks, and abandon mine shafts, with no flash light, and being completly drunk off his you know what. He then tells me, "I made my way out the powerline and almost fell off of a cliff, boy that will sober you up quick!", which bums me out because that meant he was over near my oak/cliff set, about 100 to 150 yards away, on the point I was expecting my target buck to be.

I ask, "Do you need to call anyone, I have my phone?" He replies, "I guess I better call the wife. I left her in the truck with my phone at about 12:30 or so. What time is it?"

"Buddy, it is almost 5" I reply. So he was out wandering the mountains of PA in pitch black overcast night, with rain, for over 4 hours.

He calls her and asks, "HEY, do you remember where we got the truck stuck, I've been out wandering and just got help, I'll go to Angels house, I just cant remember where the truck is."

I drop him off at his daughters house, and head out to my spot.

I get to my parking space at 5:00. Got to my stand and made a perfect climb, first time climbing in the dark. I could hear cars on the strip road and counted at least 8. It got light and I decided to stand all morning to reduce movement. I had 2 really nice does and a BB come in. Looked like a 1.5-2.5 year old and a big Grammy doe. The Grammy did not have a fawn so I decided I'd take her if given a chance. I was going to hold off shooting does at this spot because of my desire to get the 9 point I have on camera, but this doe was absolutly huge and did not have a fawn.

Well the smaller doe walks right under me just off of the trail. An acorn pings off of the branch above me and hits my climber, and she looks up. She locks on for about 2 minutes as I remain still. She jumped and hopped about 14 yards and continued on eating the acorns with her fawn in tow. Grammy walks on the trail right in front of me about 7 yds away. I get to full draw and she locks on me. She does a 360 and hops 15 yds and continues to browse. I then turn my attention on the other doe who is about 20 yds. Neither gave me another opportunity and just walked off crunching on acorns. I decided to leave early as not to muddy up this spot with the rising temps.

My buck did not show up on Saturday, but it was a scorcher. It was 60 degrees going out.

What a way to kick off the season huh? LOL

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: WHY I LOVE HUNTING PUBLIC LAND IN PA (NO HARVEST)

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:19 am

:lol: Priceless
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:23 am

Wow, What a wat to kick it off! At least you saw something.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:36 am

I almost blew by the guy but I was thinking, maybe Karma may pay off and my target buck or a bigger buck would come by. LOL After he told me he almost fell off of the cliff, and I knew it was near my area, that thought pretty much went away LOL unless deer like the smell of cheap cigarettes and JD. Hey i guess it is a better story than... I saw 2 does and a button buck and got busted ;)

I found out later that the guys daughter was a girl i graduated high school with, she sent me a picture of his truck that was stuck

Gotta love it. If I am correct on where he was stuck he had to have travled at least 4-6 miles to get to the highway, back up over the mountain, over to the cliff, and where I picked him up. LOL maybe he will put the bottle down for a while. Definetly made for my best public land memory so far!
Last edited by bowmike on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:37 am

Wow very action packed day! :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:15 am

lol :clap:
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 am

:lol: Good story indeed!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:49 am

Hahaha wow

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
ShagZ

Unread postby ShagZ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks for the story.

Good Luck on your Target Buck!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:42 am

That is funny stuff!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”