What to do when the bedroom is a corn field

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

What to do when the bedroom is a corn field

Unread postby jjm335 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:22 am

Guys,

Had an average first day here in PA, temps were high so movement was limited. I was walking out in the morning by a corn field and jumped a buck in the corn by a water way. That brought me to this question...what should I do when the corn field is the bedding area? It seems, especially at this spot I hunt, that a lot of the deer bed in the corn and I'm not sure how to hunt them.

Does anyone have advice on hunting deer that bed up in the corn?

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Re: What to do when the bedroom is a corn field

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:39 am

He shouldnt just bed randomly in the corn field. Either hills or grass or scrub trees may be something to look for. Try to cut a big track where he is entering and exiting the corn field.
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:44 am

Wait for a solidly windy day that you can sneak through the rows and set up on his bed. I have done this before and it can be very effective. The rows of corn can act as a baffle system and limit the distance your scent will travel. The wind (has to be a sturdy one) will mask your movement and noise. Its a long tedious process to get through a corn field, but it can be well worth it.
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:32 am

Sweet Shot 7 wrote:He shouldnt just bed randomly in the corn field. Either hills or grass or scrub trees may be something to look for. Try to cut a big track where he is entering and exiting the corn field.

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying...he isn't going to randomly bed in the field so you think he'll consistently be in the same spot in the corn? Since I bumped him is it safe to say he is going going to be there again...?
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:41 am

Mature bucks don't bed down randomly. There is a reason he uses that bed. As far as it getting used again in the near future depends on the buck's personality. I would take note of all things you can think of that day like wind direction, temp, etc. anything that will help predict when those conditons present themselves again, that buck or even a different one might use it again.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:09 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Mature bucks don't bed down randomly. There is a reason he uses that bed. As far as it getting used again in the near future depends on the buck's personality. I would take note of all things you can think of that day like wind direction, temp, etc. anything that will help predict when those conditons present themselves again, that buck or even a different one might use it again.

My thoughts exactly... Most corn beds are in grassy areas, along ponds, creeks, or fencelines, but will occasionally be at the top 3rd of a hill... They generally bed in corn when heavy pressure is everywhere else and its open or mature hardwoods surrounding.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:21 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Mature bucks don't bed down randomly. There is a reason he uses that bed. As far as it getting used again in the near future depuends on the buck's personality. I would take note of all things you can think of that day like wind direction, temp, etc. anything that will help predict when those conditons present themselves again, that buck or even a different one might use it again.

Agree...would still concentrate on finding his trails to and from the bed. Goodluck

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 am

Guys,

Thanks for all the great advice. Just to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about

The red is where I jumped the buck. This is an old image after the corn was cut, that is all corn with a hay field towards the north (bean field towards the east). The darker grassy area is a water way that is tall grass. It is a very flat area.

I thought about setting up somewhere on the tip close by but it would probably need to be on the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”