How Far Will a Buck Go...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

How Far Will a Buck Go...

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:58 am

...when he has been bumped from his bed, in daylight?

What will a buck do when he's bumped from the safty of his bed? Will he travel far to get to his next safe spot? I would assume that bucks get bumped from time to time, especially on public land on weekends.

Does anyone set up, and depend on this forced movement?

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How Far Will a Buck Go...

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:29 pm

I have set up on forced movement by other hunters. Sometimes it works, but usually not for big bucks. 1st off, most the time mature bucks are bedded in an over looked or remote spot so even under pressure I don't think they get moved a lot. The big bucks I have witnessed jump don't seem to go far they seem to want to go strait to the next big buck bedding spot.
However, I have had some good experiences bumping bucks from one big buck bedding area to another. For example, if I know a big buck is bedding in a spot that is nearly impossible to kill him at I will have someone bump him while I sit in the next most likely spot for him to bed... Or vI just bump the bedding areas where I don't want him to bed and hunt where I want him to bed.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:58 pm

dan wrote:For example, if I know a big buck is bedding in a spot that is nearly impossible to kill him at I will have someone bump him while I sit in the next most likely spot for him to bed... Or vI just bump the bedding areas where I don't want him to bed and hunt where I want him to bed.

I love this!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:28 am

I believe hunting pressure heavily influences how far a buck will go when kicked out of his bed. In high pressure areas, the bucks I've kicked out went to the closest security cover/bed they could find- they've learned that not doing so may add another arrow/bullet/bolt to the they already maintain.

In wilderness areas with little hunting pressure, I've witnessed a completely different reaction by the bucks. They have no problem putting a huge distance between you and them RIGHT NOW.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:38 am

Does anyone here feel, that if a buck gets jumped from his bed, and it works, i.e. he got out unharmed, that he will come right back. I get this notion from the Hill Country bucks DVD. Where Andre shoots one of his monsters. The hunt where the dogs jump him from his bed, and then Andre shoots him the very next morning, comming back to the same exact bed. Just curious to how others feel about this.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 am

I have never tried it, but I'm going to this year.... He touches a little on doing it with the perfect moon phase, which looks to me is only a few times in a hunting season.. So, I think you have to pick the perfect morning to do it... But ya, it really has me wondering how it works too.... It does make sense to me though that the buck would think his bedding spot works because he got away unscaved.... But like Dan has said before too, it's probably important to bump them towards the end of the day, so they flee, but then go about there nightly routine, not go find another bed somewhere, and then they might go back to that new bed the next morning. But if you bump them in the last hour, they do their feeding and nightly routine, and then the next morning they go back to the old reliable bed that has worked for the last couple years... I like it ! Can't wait to try it.... Beats just sitting a tree all season waiting and waiting for something to come walking along...
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 am

Great topic! Check this out. On a former lease I had I filmed this buck in a bean field in July from the road. During gun season that year one of my lease partners shot this buck on the second day of the season. From the bean field to our lease is a distance of almost exactly 1 mile as the crow flies and likely 2 miles as the deer trails go. I thought it was interesting to see the distance traveled from July to November. However at the same time it raised many questions. Did he relocate once velvet started shedding and bucks were becoming territorial? Was he bumped many properties over during gun season? Was he traveling during post rut looking for love?

We never had any sightings of him during archery season and no trail camera photos leaving me to believe he was bumped during gun season and traveled to our property.

BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:18 am

dan wrote:I have set up on forced movement by other hunters. Sometimes it works, but usually not for big bucks. 1st off, most the time mature bucks are bedded in an over looked or remote spot so even under pressure I don't think they get moved a lot. The big bucks I have witnessed jump don't seem to go far they seem to want to go strait to the next big buck bedding spot.
However, I have had some good experiences bumping bucks from one big buck bedding area to another. For example, if I know a big buck is bedding in a spot that is nearly impossible to kill him at I will have someone bump him while I sit in the next most likely spot for him to bed... Or vI just bump the bedding areas where I don't want him to bed and hunt where I want him to bed.

I do a great job of bumping big bucks out of bedding areas...it's purely on accident, only to never see'em again. :lol:
3dog

Unread postby 3dog » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:14 pm

Does anyone here feel, that if a buck gets jumped from his bed, and it works, i.e. he got out unharmed, that he will come right back. I get this notion from the Hill Country bucks DVD. Where Andre shoots one of his monsters. The hunt where the dogs jump him from his bed, and then Andre shoots him the very next morning, comming back to the same exact bed. Just curious to how others feel about this.

I can think of 2 bucks I jumped during early season last year and hunted them the next morning. 1 was a no show the other came in at gray light and winded me. He came in on the exact trail I took the day before, quiet as a mouse. I shot 1 in the bed a couple years ago and lost him on a deflected shot. The next weekend Dan was out and we stopped at the house for lunch, looked out the window and there he is standing in the middle of the road just down the hill from where I shot him a week prior. I had a 135ish 10 point I was trying desperately to kill last year. I know of at least 1 time I jumped him for sure and who knows how many others that I didn't know of. I kept hunting him because he kept showing up on camera in daylight. He finally had enough with me left that bedding area the middle of October, only to move a couple hundreds closer to my entrance point on the property so he could keep a better eye on me. There's more, I jump a lot of big bucks every year mainly because I'm always looking at new areas and make a point to move quietly into the wind when scouting. There's no doubt in my mind a lot of bucks return but I'm just as certain some will never come back. I figure if you jump one on accident you've got nothing to loose going back the next morning. And if you've got one getting under your skin like the 135ish 10 was to me last year, you'll either run him off or kill him. Either way the hunt is over and you can get on to the next one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”