Crabapples preferred-how much

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

May-39

Crabapples preferred-how much

Unread postby May-39 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:20 am

Okay so here's the deal..
Last year scouted a new parcel that looked flat on a topo but the public parcel required boat access to enter. Well that's my threshold.
I scout it to discover a seasonally flooded hardwood with several 8-10' ridges, oaks etc. One one ridge I find several crabapple trees in a line and one of the biggest scrapes ever. A huge chunk of crabapple tree was missing or dead from licking branch activity.
One stand site located at neigboring property line couple hundred yards away. classic field edge at end of two setup
This summer I notice the crab apple trees are loaded, set up stand site in April.
I returned in August, crabapples everywhere, some (not many) acorns on oak trees, hang trail cam.
I return last week of September just prior to huge rainstorm, pull camera, there are crabapples all over the ground. I notice a few acorns on the ground again, not many
I have the same doe family group going along crabapple ridge every morning, not really feeding on crabapples kinda browsing...There isn't crop competition for a long ways.

What is up with this, I thought deer realy liked crabapples,,They hoover them up in town.??

Buckfever
500 Club

Re: Crabapples preferred-how much

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:39 am

I don't know but I really like the picture of the buck in the canoe.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 am

Thanks buckfever,

I guess I will hang a quiet trail cam over these crabs and see, maybe it a preferred source later in the year?
Kinda hard to believe cause driving through town the city deer are parked under crab apple trees every morning
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:51 am

I have a crab apple tree in my yard. A few years back late one night I saw a doe and 2 fawns eating apples off of the lawn. Not sure how often they are there to be honest as I'm usually sleeping. lol Them things are sure tart though. Not my kinda thing.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 pm

The problem here with this issue is as with most of the hunting issues is that we tend to isolate the question. You found a remote area and within this remote area you found a stand of crab apples so you think this might be a draw. Truth is they might greatly prefer the white oaks one ridge over and not give a schit about the crab apples. I think the bigger question is do you have a buck hunt here on this isolated parcel during the prerut? And I don't think the crab apples have anything to do with that except that the crab apple tree was used to lay down a scrape. Maybe close to a doe bedding? Or a doe travel corridor?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”