Shower or not to shower before hittin the woods?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you "shower to de-scent" or not?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 83
BigHunt

Re: Shower or not to shower before hittin the woods?

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 pm

E72 wrote:True Brad and I do believe deer are individuals that can act differently to any situation. I guess my question is .... If you can try to reduce and or cover human odor ,can it HELP keep a deer from determining what is danger and what is not? Strong human odor or very little human odor, for sure makes no difference?[glow=red]From what I'm reading in most of the posts , it's seems its not worth the money or trouble .[/glow][ Post made via iPhone ] Image

;) ..I have saved over a grand each season from not using scent control

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 am

Dang,That's a ton of cash for scent control BH! Very interested in the responses here, over the years Ive tried it all. Started out with my clothes in a garbage bag full of pine needles , leaves and dirt. Tried Scentlok briefly, detergents, sprays , earth scent, coon and fox urine. Now I mainly try to take a shower before a hunt, use a non scented soap. Clothes are washed preseason with baking soda. The last 5 years I've been using the smoking method using hickory chips . Id say it costs me less than 15$ a season now and has been working well for me. Two things that you cannot control on a hunt , wind and deer movement. They don't always cooperate so my thoughts... I try to keep my human stench to a deer to a minimum. ;)
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:54 am

BigHunt wrote:
E72 wrote:True Brad and I do believe deer are individuals that can act differently to any situation. I guess my question is .... If you can try to reduce and or cover human odor ,can it HELP keep a deer from determining what is danger and what is not? Strong human odor or very little human odor, for sure makes no difference?[From what I'm reading in most of the posts , it's seems its not worth the money or trouble .[/glow][ Post made via iPhone ] Image

[glow=red];) ..I have saved over a grand each season from not using scent control
[/glow]

Seriously ?
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:59 am

BigHunt wrote:
E72 wrote:True Brad and I do believe deer are individuals that can act differently to any situation. I guess my question is .... If you can try to reduce and or cover human odor ,can it HELP keep a deer from determining what is danger and what is not? Strong human odor or very little human odor, for sure makes no difference?[glow=red]From what I'm reading in most of the posts , it's seems its not worth the money or trouble .[/glow][ Post made via iPhone ] Image

A grand? Is that even possible???

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:01 am

solocam88 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

A grand? Is that even possible???

O yes...I was a freak...I just laugh at my self know

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:13 am

E72 wrote:True Brad and I do believe deer are individuals that can act differently to any situation. I guess my question is .... If you can try to reduce and or cover human odor ,can it HELP keep a deer from determining what is danger and what is not? Strong human odor or very little human odor, for sure makes no difference? From what I'm reading in most of the posts , it's seems its not worth the money or trouble .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I don't think there is a difference to a deers nose. I can say this, I have seen a lot of testing done with blood hounds and blood hounds have always found the "clean scent free" person 1st... I don't think thats a coincidence. It looks like thru testing that a clean body emits more odor.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 am

dan wrote:
E72 wrote:True Brad and I do believe deer are individuals that can act differently to any situation. I guess my question is .... If you can try to reduce and or cover human odor ,can it HELP keep a deer from determining what is danger and what is not? Strong human odor or very little human odor, for sure makes no difference? From what I'm reading in most of the posts , it's seems its not worth the money or trouble .

I don't think there is a difference to a deers nose. I can say this, I have seen a lot of testing done with blood hounds and blood hounds have always found the "clean scent free" person 1st... I don't think thats a coincidence.[glow=red]It looks like thru testing that a clean body emits more odor[/glow].

That's the part that baffles me :?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:26 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
dan wrote:

I don't think there is a difference to a deers nose. I can say this, I have seen a lot of testing done with blood hounds and blood hounds have always found the "clean scent free" person 1st... I don't think thats a coincidence.[glow=red]It looks like thru testing that a clean body emits more odor[/glow].

That's the part that baffles me :?

Dosent me...just think when u dont shower for a day or two what happends to ur skin it gets oily..when ur ckean and just out of shower ur skun cells are dry

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:56 am

I think if you look at it from the perspective of money and/or time; the money isn't very much, in the evil schemes of things...
You have to buy soap anyways, you have to buy washing detergent - right.
So instead of spending $5 for store bought you spend $15 for fancy stuff...

It's the time factor for the scent control mythology (in my eye's) along w/ someone's peace of mind...

I posted a Doe kill last year in which I stunk, but was successful because of the wind!
Sometimes I do stink and sometimes I don't (meaning showering before going in),
however I can't control the winds for every 60-minutes of every hour in my hunting woods (swirling is the norm), so some regiment may help, but may not...?
Last edited by Edcyclopedia on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:29 am

I shower before a hunt as long as it is not delaying me from getting into the woods. During weekdays I usually go to my hunting spots straight from work. On those days I will use scent free soaps in the morning before work, but obviously I pick up scent throughout the day.

Like others have said it's more about creating less contamination in the woods. Jon Eberhart has the same mentality on this and talks about it in several of his books. He is very careful to wear gloves and not touch things as much as possible. I see some people touching every tree and brush they come in contact with and especially rubbed trees. That creates a lot of extra contamination in my book.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”