While on stand, what do you pay attention to?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: While on stand, what do you pay attention to?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:19 am

In marshes you can almost always get tipped off by birds flying up out of the cattails or ducks suddenly busting up from a flooded area.

Right before dark quite a few birds hunker down in the brush and cattails and if you watch closely you can follow the progress of a deers movement as the birds fly up ahead of them.

I also watch the tops of cattails. The tips shaking is usually a good indication. When they get close enough you will hear them in the water but that has been very difficult since it has been so dry after last years drought.

In the northwoods like has been said already bluejays do a good job telling you something is coming.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:52 am

adrenalin wrote:
Stanley wrote:If I hear a buck come in before, I see a buck come in I am not hunting hard enough.

You must be talking about open hardwoods. Swamps and marshes you will almost always hear them first.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree the stuff I hunt, I almost always hear them way before I see them. Heck sometimes I hear them and never see them as they stay in the thick.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Ha. Misunderstood what Stanley wrote...i was thinking not hunting hard enough if they just appear out of no where...the exact opposite. :lol:

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:13 am

If you have other deer around you, they will almost always tip you off tha another deer is coming. especially during the rut, when does want nothing to do from the harassing bucks.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 am

I hate to admit this but I have spotted and killed more than a few deer that I literally had a gut feeling or 6th sense to look in that direction. I catch noise and movement and a lot of times I've spotted deer by the sun glaring off their backs or the flat horizontal lines. The first doe I shot this year I saw her feet first due to the cover being so thick. A lot of the bucks I kill I hear them trotting or grunting and watch that area.

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:32 am

Crows as noted. They've resulted in alerting me to turkey and deer approaching.

I look for body lines, but more ofthen than not, I look for movement and color changes. Limbs or branches moving or a flash of color change through a hole in leaves or reeds are two of the more common things I pick up on.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”