So the buck gets off his hill country bed....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

So the buck gets off his hill country bed....

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:00 am

Which way does he go? Say your bedding point faces south (he beds there on a north wind). Buck could go either direction- so does he generally take the leeward-most side? (Meaning if your wind is out of NW he would travel the east side of the point) It would be a given if he was seen in a crop field shining, etc, etc, but when all you have is a bed, which way do you assume he goes?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

dreaming bucks

Re: So the buck gets off his hill country bed....

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:10 am

I believe they could go either way, but I'm sure it's towards his food source at the time. I know Dan has said that wind direction is not as much a factor when are headed towards their desired food source.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Could go any way... Your scouting should tell you where the trails come out and which food sources are active... During the rut they usually follow the same elevation on leeward side.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:40 pm

True, but food sources are different now than during post season scouting. I've got a spot in mind that I could potentially check one side and if there's sign set up, otherwise off to the other side.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:11 am

Food sources change, but trails don't... They may get less use, but old rubs as well as the trail itself should be visible. They tend to only have a few trails going out of these beds, you just have to determine North, south, east, or west.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:36 am

If one is so inclined....this is where a little calling may tip the scale in your favor. It's not for everyone but it can definitely pay dividends.
IMO
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:10 am

I researched this sites pass topics for information on this topic a lot last summer.

I came to the conclusion I would find the buck beds, and look what food resources were available at the time I was scouting. The first scouting trips I took were immediately post season. I knew exactly what food sources were available at that time, and the sign really showed how the bucks were entering and exiting the beds. Many cases for me they were using the same entrance and exit trails to and from the bed.

Then, I went back after green up and checked many of the beds again. (I know that's a lot of pressure on the beds, but I am still in the "education" stages of beast hunting) Many of the buck beds wasn't even being used this time of the year. I had assumed the bucks had transitioned to a better habitat especially food sources.....

The beds I found during mid spring looked like it was a 50-50 on which trail he was using. During my spring scouting trips I tried to locate as many acorn food sources as I could so I could make an educated guess on his evening exit.

I guess what I am trying to say, if you located buck beds, try and determine what food sources are available at the time the buck is using the bed, and I would imagine more times than not, he will exit towards food.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”