quick Q about this evening.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trdtnlbwhntr

quick Q about this evening.

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:41 am

It appears as though this rain front that is sitting on my area is about to move out. Around 3 the sun is supposed to start to break out. I have a 3-400 yard approach through a standing corn field to get to the spot where I missed a booner last year and have glassed him recently (last two weeks). Should I make the attempt to get in there tonight with the wet weather helping to silence my approach through the corn on the heals of the front? Or wait till I get windier conditions with a front coming in to go in to the spot.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: quick Q about this evening.

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:43 am

If the wind is right, why not give it a shot. You have seen him in the area recently, don't know how long he will stick around. I say go for it. good luck.
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:52 am

Okay next question. Do I slip down the end rows with the wind in my face or do I circle around the field and walk down the normal rows with the wind blowing back up into the corn? Lots to think about.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:56 am

Post a diagram. Keep from busting him in ur approach. Don't let him see or smell u

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:06 am

I will just describe the setup. South of the corn field is a bean field that runs the entire E/W length of the corn field. Along the W side of the corn field is a 50 yard wide buffer strip. On the other side of the buffer strip is a ditch that bends hard W where the beans meet the buffer strip. On that corner is a stand of trees where he is bedding at. The wind is out of the SSW which makes it come from the bean field up into the corn no matter which approach I take. I feel like if I circle the field and come in from the other side of it I wont have to worry about where the regular rows intertwine into the end rows and jam up the approach. Being seen or smelled wont be the problem. It is being heard as I come through the corn. How much racket will he tolerate as I work my way slowly through the corn?
Last year when I made the move the wind was blowing at like 25mph and making noise in the corn was not a problem.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:03 am

How much has it rained? If the corn is not soked it may be dry or dry out before you hunt. I know the corn is loud when packing a lone wolf through it. Good luck!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:28 am

I walk through corn every year to get to certain stand sites. You will have to walk down a row to get to where you are going. I always try and go straight up the gut of the corn to the stand site. I like the wind to help hide noise. The end rows are a bugger to get through with a stand, sticks, bow, and whatever. If you are walking through wet corn you will be wet to the bone. Even if you wear rain gear(sweat). Wind direction is what I would base my decision on and get through the corn however you can, quietly.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 am

Stanley wrote:I walk through corn every year to get to certain stand sites. You will have to walk down a row to get to where you are going. I always try and go straight up the gut of the corn to the stand site. I like the wind to help hide noise. The end rows are a bugger to get through with a stand, sticks, bow, and whatever. If you are walking through wet corn you will be wet to the bone. Even if you wear rain gear(sweat). Wind direction is what I would base my decision on and get through the corn however you can, quietly.

If the corn is wet and the wind is on your side you might go for it. Otherwise, I'd wait for a heavy wind and try to match the conditions in which you encountered him last year.

The corn has been tough for me this year. It seems every time I want to hunt a place it has cross rows instead of rows going where I want to go :lol: Hauling Lonewolf sticks is something I will not try to do in the corn again...They catch on everything so I switched up to screw in steps when I'm heading through the corn.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:05 pm

So did you go for it? The rain here dried fast. I would wait for a decent wind. Only because I am not very stealthy in a corn field.
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:50 am

I did not attempt it last night. By the time I got home the rain had stopped and the sun was out. The wind was down to under 10 mph. It was humid as all heck out. I stopped by a corn field near my house and listened to see if I could possibly make the move, but there was just no way I would be able to get through that corn quietly enough to get into position. The unique thing is I actually have to get to the edge of the corn and sit there. There are not trees of any kind in this area. The idea is to ambush him as he works through the buffer strip or uses the edge cover of the corn to move among the beans. So I carry a hunting stool and my bow in. I need to wait. I know I need to wait. Its hard to be patient when you know he is there. YOu know the buck you want to kill is in an area and you know there is absolutely NO WAY to get to him.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:07 am

trdtnlbwhntr wrote:I did not attempt it last night. By the time I got home the rain had stopped and the sun was out. The wind was down to under 10 mph. It was humid as all heck out. I stopped by a corn field near my house and listened to see if I could possibly make the move, but there was just no way I would be able to get through that corn quietly enough to get into position. The unique thing is I actually have to get to the edge of the corn and sit there. There are not trees of any kind in this area. The idea is to ambush him as he works through the buffer strip or uses the edge cover of the corn to move among the beans. So I carry a hunting stool and my bow in. I need to wait. I know I need to wait. Its hard to be patient when you know he is there. YOu know the buck you want to kill is in an area and you know there is absolutely NO WAY to get to him.

That's a tough situation!

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:14 am

wmihunter wrote:
trdtnlbwhntr wrote:I did not attempt it last night. By the time I got home the rain had stopped and the sun was out. The wind was down to under 10 mph. It was humid as all heck out. I stopped by a corn field near my house and listened to see if I could possibly make the move, but there was just no way I would be able to get through that corn quietly enough to get into position. The unique thing is I actually have to get to the edge of the corn and sit there. There are not trees of any kind in this area. The idea is to ambush him as he works through the buffer strip or uses the edge cover of the corn to move among the beans. So I carry a hunting stool and my bow in. I need to wait. I know I need to wait. Its hard to be patient when you know he is there. YOu know the buck you want to kill is in an area and you know there is absolutely NO WAY to get to him.

That's a tough situation!

Just wait for the next windy day. You will be good. I think he will stay bedding there unless they cut the crops sometime soon.

It's a tough situation but it sounds like you have a good plan.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”