Hunting the rut more effectively

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wolfofmibu

Re: Hunting the rut more effectively

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:02 am

Bump. Good stuff here for the time coming up!

bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:15 am

This thread is full of great stuff. I've read through it multiple times and learn new things every time.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:46 pm

dan wrote:
attackone wrote:I guess my main question is concerning the leeward side, the main areas I hunt is hill/farm land and most of the ridges run N/S. If a buck were to run the leeward side of the ridge he wouldnt cover alot of ground just because alot of the ridges dont run for miles like in tradition hill country. Will he still travel on the non leeward side to check the does that are bedding over there? Also what would he do on a N/S wind when there isnt really any leeward sides around. These 2 things have been the main that I have had the hardest time figuring out.

When the wind does not cooperate the movement will seem more random and be less predictable... If the wind leans a certain way, I will likely be on the side favoring the leeward side.

When there is not a "leeward" side, or you have already burned that bridge, hunt it as a "big woods" or"a farm" and hunt other types of funnels or bedding.

Can you explain what you mean by hunting it as big woods? How would that differ that typical ridge country?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:48 pm

checkerfred wrote:
dan wrote:
attackone wrote:I guess my main question is concerning the leeward side, the main areas I hunt is hill/farm land and most of the ridges run N/S. If a buck were to run the leeward side of the ridge he wouldnt cover alot of ground just because alot of the ridges dont run for miles like in tradition hill country. Will he still travel on the non leeward side to check the does that are bedding over there? Also what would he do on a N/S wind when there isnt really any leeward sides around. These 2 things have been the main that I have had the hardest time figuring out.

When the wind does not cooperate the movement will seem more random and be less predictable... If the wind leans a certain way, I will likely be on the side favoring the leeward side.

When there is not a "leeward" side, or you have already burned that bridge, hunt it as a "big woods" or"a farm" and hunt other types of funnels or bedding.

Can you explain what you mean by hunting it as big woods? How would that differ that typical ridge country?

Look at how the wind works with transitions, edge, thick isolated openings, cut overs, etc.
CShipp

Unread postby CShipp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:44 am

dan wrote:To be effective during the rut you have to think about what your target animal is, and then think about how they act during the rut...

Mature bucks ( 4 y/o + ) and immature bucks ( 1 t0 3 y/o ) are like different species... You might even say each of the 1, 2, & 3 year olds are different species too... But for my comparison lets say mature vs immature .

Don't get me wrong, I will shoot occasional 3 or even 2 year old bucks. Lets face it, the majority of booners shot are most likely 3 year olds... And I do like to eat venison, and like to set realistic goals. In the next episode of Extreme whitetail tactics you will see me shoot a 2 y/o that only scores about 100 inches. But it met my goal of hunting new public ground by just cyber scouting. and hunting for just a weekend.

Anywho, when you hunt funnels midday you are most likely to see 1 to 3 year old deer. I think 2 y/o's are the most aggressive breeders and are the most vulnerable. Mature bucks don't tend to go out cruising in broad daylight. They do make the occasional mistake or get caught up in the excitement and wander out every now and then... I will say this though, bucks that make it to maturity on low pressure private ground make a lot more mistakes than those who learn the lessons of public...

I personally would be happy with a 3 y/o in most of the properties I hunt. But I still want to be in the game for mature bucks that do most of there breeding at night.

I like to sit a known buck bedding area in the early am and in the late evening... Specifically a rut bed, or a primary bed. I shot a very nice mature 10 point on October 31st two seasons ago in the evening at last light sitting over this exact type of bed. Its a primary bed, but its also adjacent to a doe bedding area and bucks bed there to keep tabs on the does. All the young bucks were running all over the place chasing does, he just stayed bedded till last light and I shot him 75 yards from his bed at closing time.
What about between the AM and PM hunt? Right after my am bed hunt, I like to set up in a good funnel connecting doe bedding areas or on a doe bedding area. As stated in a previous post, usually down wind, but often not, I will look for the recent rubs and see if they are cruising the entrance trails or the down wind side. Immature bucks and the rare mature buck that makes a mistake, will bed for a short time in the am, then he will get up and cruise the doe bedding areas after he is sure all the does have likely bedded.
In the evening, I will either move back to a known primary buck bed, or rut bed, or I will hunt a parallel trail where bucks will check the trails leading to feeding areas does are currently using in the evening.

Your best shot for a true mature buck is in the early AM, or late PM near his bed... I personally would not sit in a funnel all day because I want to at least be in the game on mature bucks whether or not I would shoot an immature one.

Hey Dan, i was just wondering what your timing is when you are leaving your AM sit location to your midmorning/midday sit. I understand there are probably a lot of different variables that go into your timing but its a question i always ask myself.
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
-Aldo Leopold
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:32 pm

CShipp wrote:
dan wrote:To be effective during the rut you have to think about what your target animal is, and then think about how they act during the rut...

Mature bucks ( 4 y/o + ) and immature bucks ( 1 t0 3 y/o ) are like different species... You might even say each of the 1, 2, & 3 year olds are different species too... But for my comparison lets say mature vs immature .

Don't get me wrong, I will shoot occasional 3 or even 2 year old bucks. Lets face it, the majority of booners shot are most likely 3 year olds... And I do like to eat venison, and like to set realistic goals. In the next episode of Extreme whitetail tactics you will see me shoot a 2 y/o that only scores about 100 inches. But it met my goal of hunting new public ground by just cyber scouting. and hunting for just a weekend.

Anywho, when you hunt funnels midday you are most likely to see 1 to 3 year old deer. I think 2 y/o's are the most aggressive breeders and are the most vulnerable. Mature bucks don't tend to go out cruising in broad daylight. They do make the occasional mistake or get caught up in the excitement and wander out every now and then... I will say this though, bucks that make it to maturity on low pressure private ground make a lot more mistakes than those who learn the lessons of public...

I personally would be happy with a 3 y/o in most of the properties I hunt. But I still want to be in the game for mature bucks that do most of there breeding at night.

I like to sit a known buck bedding area in the early am and in the late evening... Specifically a rut bed, or a primary bed. I shot a very nice mature 10 point on October 31st two seasons ago in the evening at last light sitting over this exact type of bed. Its a primary bed, but its also adjacent to a doe bedding area and bucks bed there to keep tabs on the does. All the young bucks were running all over the place chasing does, he just stayed bedded till last light and I shot him 75 yards from his bed at closing time.
What about between the AM and PM hunt? Right after my am bed hunt, I like to set up in a good funnel connecting doe bedding areas or on a doe bedding area. As stated in a previous post, usually down wind, but often not, I will look for the recent rubs and see if they are cruising the entrance trails or the down wind side. Immature bucks and the rare mature buck that makes a mistake, will bed for a short time in the am, then he will get up and cruise the doe bedding areas after he is sure all the does have likely bedded.
In the evening, I will either move back to a known primary buck bed, or rut bed, or I will hunt a parallel trail where bucks will check the trails leading to feeding areas does are currently using in the evening.

Your best shot for a true mature buck is in the early AM, or late PM near his bed... I personally would not sit in a funnel all day because I want to at least be in the game on mature bucks whether or not I would shoot an immature one.

Hey Dan, i was just wondering what your timing is when you are leaving your AM sit location to your midmorning/midday sit. I understand there are probably a lot of different variables that go into your timing but its a question i always ask myself.

Just after sunrise.
druski
Facebook: no on facbook

Unread postby druski » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:08 am

Few thoughts that relate to some points made here that I'm curious if anyone can validate or comment on one way or another.
-Specific does go into heat same time of year and or same bedding/location.
*This does tie together with the fact many does will give birth in the same location one year after another.
Like buck bedding, if that doe, mature or otherwise, no longer exist will another doe take over that bedding or birthing area due to ideal location and or due to having spent it's like in this area, i.e. generational or even being born; similar to travel routes, community scrapes, sign posts are re-used over time. Curious if she relates to the birthing area during times of higher security needs such as being pressured by a buck.?
*I vaguely recall hearing deer biologists talking about the estrous cycle pretty well being same as with women but limited to 3 months typically and at 30 day intervals; unless they are not bred then that can continue and each will typically last 2-3 days per 30 day period.
*Seem cutting trails for the buck given hormones is an efficient way and with the interdigital land (I think) can identify specific doe not different than training a dog.
*Like most men bucks are good to go breeding during these months if the doe is.
I know 1:10 doe/buck ratios were common years ago if not more so today in Indiana and Michigan and so always does that don't get bred.
It is funny how "if they are moving are not" is tied to location, approach and simply if you have a hot doe during sometimes of year. Reminds me of with fishing that 90% of fish use 10% of the water and is terrain specific. Some days fish are biting, which really is just conditions making them sluggish to where you have to put it on their nose because they are not going to be chasing anything and how there are similarities with deer movement of all kinds.
Do does enter on downwind side of bedding or J-hook ever? Doesn't seem I've saw this at all and seems it would be due the lack of isolation in travel.?
Some of this may seem off topic but I think all this goes into being efficient during rut and the idea that knowing the animal itself and how it's wired goes hand and hand with efficiency and can help make sense of principals that cross over from fishing.
From what I have saw with Dan's video's and the overall content on this forum, I don't see it as an overstatement to say I've finally found my In-Fisherman equivalent to deer hunting but with a bit more interjected humor which is needed at times to maintain or find some sanity.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”