Which stand and buck to target opening weekend?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dkoy85

Which stand and buck to target opening weekend?

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 am

Here's another question and a predicament I've got.

I've been going back and forth a lot over the last couple days to which stand to hunt. A few weeks ago I did some scouting on public land in my new home town and found a couple spots including jumping a nice 2 year old our of his bed. Here's my issue- I also found an area that screams big old buck and have a stand hung- HOWEVER I have no idea if it is big buck bedding, because I did not push the spot but judging by the spot and my on the ground scouting I feel it is the only place on the whole property that an old buck will feel the safest. I really want to fill my tag and get some meat in the freezer (no doe tag) and head down to Maryland to some great public land- including marshes which I have never hunted all within an hour away. I know I can move in on the 2 year old to within about 65 yards and possibly get a shot at him opening evening and I'd be happy with him BUT I'd be much happier with a mature buck.

Here's the scenario- Even though we have a few days to go all indications point to a SW wind of 5mph and a HOT 86 degree afternoon. The set up to go after the mature buck is perfect- really couldnt ask for a better setup other than a SE wind at least thats what I think but I am not the best at predicting the wind currents in regards to how terrain effects them. I'd be sitting just off wind to his scrape that will be just NE of me. He'd be able to get out of his bed and walk directly into the wind along the hill side. Where I am set up it is 100% impossible to find a climbing tree and it is THICK and my tree is the biggest tree at about 7 inches- Perfect old buck hill side. There are a couple trees with 3-5 scrapes under them each, heading into this hillside which indicates to me multiple bucks.

The buck would be bedded on a point overlooking a creek bottom with the wind coming from the top over his back. Biggest problem I see is the temp and distance I am from him- Im about 125-150 yards depending on which side of the point he beds... if he does at all! Will this buck get out of bed this Saturday evening and make it to me before dark with the distance and temp- I'm attaching the topo. Should I go in and risk ruining the spot or go after the 2 year old?

wmihunter

Re: Which stand and buck to target opening weekend?

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:30 am

Depends on ur level of patience am hunting goals! Sounds like the mature buck stand should wait til the conditions are better or find a spot closer to his bed

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 am

I would make my play for an older buck before he is pressured- if it doesn't work out I'd hit it again in late Oct. / early Nov.

I know there are scrapes, but what is the bucks most likely destination when he exits bedding? Where is the nearest water and food source? Would movement toward the scrapes get him going in that direction? Were you able to determine (by tracks) what direction the buck was facing when he approached the scrapes? Is the best water and food downhill from the buck? The answers to some of these questions would help me build confidence in the setup.

Congrats on finding a good spot, that's an accomplishment in itself. 8-)
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:45 am

I would assume the buck bed would be on the point somewhere above the my topo logo
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:08 am

Singing bridge- The bucks most likely destination is by my stand out to an oak flat before a corn/soybean/alfalfa field and on the way or way back he can hit up a small creek on the opposite side of the hill (south side) of my stand which makes this spot so exciting to me. I did not see any tracks telling me which direction he is going but I did see some rubs heading the direction of the field.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:12 am

dkoy85 wrote:Singing bridge- The bucks most likely destination is by my stand out to an oak flat before a corn/soybean/alfalfa field and on the way or way back he can hit up a small creek on the opposite side of the hill (south side) of my stand which makes this spot so exciting to me. I did not see any tracks telling me which direction he is going but I did see some rubs heading the direction of the field.

sounds good- best of luck to you. I hope to see some pics! 8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:05 am

It has always been my experience those early scrapes are a byproduct of a buck traveling to a food source. One scrape would mean possibly not a primary food source. Random scrapes usually mean random food sources early season. By my thinking the scrape is much less significant than the bed and food source.

Another thing that sticks out at me you are trying to hurry the situation so you can hunt another area. If you are after meat that is ok. If you are after a big boy not a good game plan to hurry and move on. I like your set up and hope you have the patience to play it out. Good luck and keep us posted.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 am

wmihunter wrote:Depends on ur level of patience am hunting goals! Sounds like the mature buck stand should wait til the conditions are better or find a spot closer to his bed

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

X2

If it screams mature buck trust your instincts and play the hand right.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 am

I guess it does feel like my patience has been tested... BEFORE the season even opened! :whistle: I guess what it comes down to is a lack of spots (3) where I feel I can kill a mature buck before the rut. Maybe what I'll do is venture into Maryland and try to find a few more- that way I don't over pressure any of my spots. I appreciate the thoughts and advice- time to kick myself in the but and get serious.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”