S Bend Bed in Creek

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dkoy85

S Bend Bed in Creek

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:10 am

I'm a little frustrated with myself! I found a target bucks bed in the S bend of a creek(Didn't know they preferred them at the time) a few weeks ago and found some good fresh sign all around in a 100+ yard radius last weekend. My frustration with myself lies within the fact that I never put the location in my ScoutLook app! I know which S bend the bucks bed is at but I cant figure out which part of the S it is in. In what part of the S do bucks typically bed? The inside of the S bend or the outside? This will help me a lot because I want to go after him opening weekend here in PA! THANKS!

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Re: S Bend Bed in Creek

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:15 am

Most the time they will bed on the inside of the creek bends.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:44 am

That's all I needed. Thanks!
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:02 am

You can just tap a location on you map and have it bring up a scent cone with scoutlook. Not sure if you knew that but just figured it might help you out.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:46 am

Inside bend with the wind blowing into the bend. Beds will around based on exact wind direction.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 am

dan wrote:Inside bend with the wind blowing into the bend. Beds will around based on exact wind direction.

Could you elaborate on this? forgive my terrible paintshop work lol. Is this what you mean by beds based on exact wind? black being beds, red wind direction.

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Badger, don't want to speak for Dan, but I think the illustration you have made is accurate. I have a spot just like that and have noticed the beds right along the bend, and on more than one occasion have observed deer bedding there when the wind is blowing the way you have shown.
Badger
500 Club

Unread postby Badger » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:16 pm

I have a couple really sweet look inside bends I want to hunt but I don't have boots on the ground scouting, This could really help when I go in. Just waiting for the right conditions.
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Wow, very informative. Do they bed like this because it tends to be thick near the river/creek at the bend, therefore, they are scent-checking where they believe danger may come from? Also, I'm assuming the creek/river itself would provide a natural (and noisy) barrier to predators. I swear I've never had so many "ah-ha!" moments until I came to this site... haha,

Thanks Dan
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 pm

I believe they bed this way cause its easy to predict the direction of danger. It will most likely comer from dry land... If you take a river that has boat traffic bedding on these spots is drastically reduced. The river is the escape rought. And yes Badger, your illustration is fairly accurate. If you find one of these spots in the off season and look at all the beds close you will see the wind correlation with the beds.
Badger
500 Club

Unread postby Badger » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:35 am

Excellent, The spot I'm think of has 3 possible bed locations similar to the diagram I posted. This gives me more confidence in picking the right spot. It will defiantly be tricky though.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:56 am

Great information- Thanks guys! The "ah-ha!" moments NCmedic speaks of have happened to me a TON since being on here. Looking back over aerial where I jumped deer while walking a creek bottom most of the time they were in these S bends- just never put two and two together!
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:23 am

dkoy85 wrote:Great information- Thanks guys! The "ah-ha!" moments NCmedic speaks of have happened to me a TON since being on here. Looking back over aerial where I jumped deer while walking a creek bottom most of the time they were in these S bends- just never put two and two together!

x2!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:15 am

I have a piece of public I've seen a lot of good bucks on that is like a bowl shape, surrounded by hills and there is a hwy seperating the two. Would the deer GENERALLY prefer one over the other? I've seen a ton of them come from the marsh and there is a winding Creek through there.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”