may be a dumb question but here it goes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Riverdeer
Facebook: Drake Richie

may be a dumb question but here it goes

Unread postby Riverdeer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:19 am

guys im hunting in a river bottom swampy area, I can throw a rock and hit the river from my stand, im hunting in on a trail I found plenty of tracks and my grandpa put some corn out by my stand, keeping see more tracks and more tracks, I have hunted the past 3 days morning s and afternoons and saw nothing from my stand, guess they are being nocturnal and not moving much in the day time, any suggestions on what I might could do to maybe catch one up on its feet?

PLB
500 Club

Re: may be a dumb question but here it goes

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 am

Lose the corn pile....
Don't hunt the same stand
Play the wind

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:27 am

Sounds like a pretty secure area. Those deer are more than likely feeding as you approach in the a.m. and your arrival is scaring them off. I would stay out of there until you can hunt an evening. Get in stand a couple hours before dark.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:30 am

Figure out where they are bedding. The closer you are and only hunting with the right wind the better chance of daylight movement.

Sounds like a combination of bait along with human scent has them feeding after dark. Your best chance is the first time you sit on stand. After that once your scent is in there your odds drop drastically.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:36 am

I would make sure your scent is blowing into the river. Make sure your ground scent is not in a place that cuts the deer off before they get to you. Often river bottoms can be slow until the food sources on higher ground change. I would try and keep the activity to a bare minimum around your stand (no more corn deliveries).
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:47 am

thank you guys for all of ur comments I appreciate it, ive been deer hunting since I was old enough to walk, im 18 and never killed a buck or anything with my bow, so im gonna try to kill a river deer.
Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:54 am

guys here is one piece of the land we hunt the black is the where I didn't mark all of the land and blue is the land we can hunt, the red circle is where my stand is in there Image
Riverdeer

Unread postby Riverdeer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:56 am

scouted this other area of the land yesterday, really thick brush and thick cover all around, after seeing all the big tracks and thick cover I would say this is a big bucks bedding area the red circle is the thickest cover Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am

A lot of good advice given here and I will give you one more. Get Dan's Marsh Bucks video. You are far better off not going hunting a few times and saving the gas money for the video IMO. It will really open your eyes and answer your current questions as well as some you don't have yet.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:37 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:A lot of good advice given here and I will give you one more. Get Dan's Marsh Bucks video. You are far better off not going hunting a few times and saving the gas money for the video IMO. It will really open your eyes and answer your current questions as well as some you don't have yet.

X2! :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”