N Fl. Rutting action!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jshorns
Facebook: Simple Hunting

N Fl. Rutting action!

Unread postby jshorns » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:42 pm

Two things I have noticed here in N FL. that are different from the mid-west. First is the rut . Second is the wind.

Rutting action is currently hot here in the swamps. The guys that I know are seeing plenty of chasing and gruntin, bucks locked down with does, etc. From what I have been told biologist say the main time of conception is mid September. The rut here has no sharp peaks or valleys. Its more like a gentle rising cure that starts as soon as the velvet falls and continues on for months. In the N.W. the rut peaks in jan/feb. Gun season runs until feb. 15. I have no doubt this is true. Since it's never very cold fawns can hit the ground earlier and survive. I have read that in S. America the deer rut year round, with bucks in various stages of antler (small deer, small antler) development year round. In FL, if you start down south, you can deer hunt nearly 8 months a year. I do like the bag limits, like 1 or 2 per day. A the very long rifle season.

As far as the wind goes there are lots of NE. and E. winds off the Atlantic. At home in Mo. east winds were not an every day thing. I'm having to get used to setting up for lots of easterly winds. Many of the mid-west cold fronts just don't make it this far and when they do they are weak and short lived.

Terrain is also very different but we can handle that - I think. If you want to read a somewhat funny story check out todays story on simplehunting.org

Hope everyone in the north is having a great hunt - the rut action will be getting hot soon!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”