Lonewolf Assault vs. Assault II

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeJD
500 Club

Lonewolf Assault vs. Assault II

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:09 am

I have a couple of Lonewolf Assaults that I bought from Dan. Thanks Dan.

They are great, and I am sold on Lonewolf. But, the majority of the trees that I hunt out of are thick barked (cottonwoods mainly) and I occasionally have trouble with the stand cam locking on larger trees. Does anyone have any experience with the Assault II versus the Assault? The main thing I am looking for is the difference in stability on larger, thick-barked trees and cam locking ability.

Thanks, Jake

"In the deed, the glory"
PLB
500 Club

Re: Lonewolf Assault vs. Assault II

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:32 am

The assault is way tougher to cam lock than the Alpha IMHO!! I can always cam lock my Alphas but my Assaults just don't seem to want to on certain trees. I have both the older and newer Assaults as well...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 am

I really want to stay away from the added size and weight of the Alpha. In your opinion, does the Assault II cam lock better than the original Assault, especially on large or thick-barked trees.
"In the deed, the glory"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:56 am

Not really but it does have the second versa button so you could add a second strap to prevent kickout.. Just make sure you are stepping down from your sticks onto the center of the platform.

Obsession Bows
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 am

Cam locking would make the batwing tight to the tree on an old assault but the bottom V is too narrow to be solid on anything but a small tree.
Adding a second strap would eliminate that problem thou.

X2 on step from above onto the middle of the platform......always.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:36 am

Zap do you have any experience with the new Assault II? I know that Lonewolf "redesigned" the Assault II so that it fit more (larger) trees. Just curious if it is actually better.
"In the deed, the glory"
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:14 am

Never had a 2, platform is a little small for me.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Zap wrote:Cam locking would make the batwing tight to the tree on an old assault but the bottom V is too narrow to be solid on anything but a small tree.Adding a second strap would eliminate that problem thou.

I agree, the narrower platform "V" makes a second strap essential to any assault stand (including the assault II). I use a different approach with the second strap and find it works so well that I actually use it even when I hang my Alpha stand.

This is a picture of an original assault stand (narrow tree "V") with a second strap weaved thru the platform grid. It isn't just hand tight, it is CAM LOCK tight! As I am setting the stand with my linemans belt on and still standing on my climbing sticks, I position the stand as perfectly tight and level as possible, and THEN, add the strap thru the second or third rung of the platform. I pull it tight, THEN lift the platform 20 degrees and tighten the strap another 1/4". When you push the platform down it will bite the tree so hard you will not be able to move the platform laterally at all. It will be ROCK solid even before you step on it. No special athletic maneuvers required once you get in your stand. It works EVERY SINGLE TIME!! And it is deadly quiet.

Give this a try at ground level to see what you think.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:18 pm

Great idea. Thanks Klemz.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"In the deed, the glory"
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Great post Klemz!! I will try that out this wknd!!

Obsession Bows
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:45 pm

I used to do the same thing with my cheaper stands and like KLEMZ said it's ROCK SOLID. In fact it bites in so good that sometimes I have got frustrated trying to get the stand off the tree after the straps are off! Red (black?) oak and hard maple tend to do this to me.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:49 pm

Great illustration and instruction KLEMZ 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 am

Anybody else with direct experience of the original Assault versus the Assault II?
"In the deed, the glory"
mattysams

Unread postby mattysams » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 am

I have an assault 2, a Chinese made assault 1(belongs to a friend but has been living in my shed since the season ended) and an original American made alpha 1. All 3 are rigged for mobile set ups with sticks and pack accessories. I put molle 2 straps and belt on the assault 2 and the others have the lone wolf vest thing that they don't make anymore. The Alpha has foot rests and 3 sticks and by feel weighs about the same as the assault 2 with 4 sticks. My buddy's Chinese assault with 3 sticks is noticeably lighter when comparing it to the others with one in each hand however when heading out for a hunt with a gear bag and bow I can't really tell much difference. In physical appearance the alpha and the assault 2 are very similar in all respects except the cast platform on the assault 2 is shorter and has a more gradual taper to the rear bracket. The Chinese assault and Assault 2 are quite different and I much prefer the the assault 2. As stated the 2 has the wider v bottom which cams and bites much better into larger trees. The 2's platform is about 2 inches wider overall and about an inch shorter and also seems to be a little beefier. The 2's seat post is bigger with 2 versa buttons and has the larger seat like the alpha and the bat wing. The Chinese assault has the same stock for the seat post as the climbing sticks, a single versa button and the same v bracket as the sticks, the seat is also much smaller. In use I the assault 2 is much more ergonomic and locks into a tree much more securely, I like the wider platform and with out foot rests the extra length of the assault 1 is wasted space. I love my alpha but only use it when I don't have to pack far or if the terrain is easy to traverse and I have a big gnarly tree to break up my pattern as the larger profile is a little cumbersome. My perspective my be a little different than others though, I hunt with a trad bow and do long packs on big parcels of public land with minimal gear so the extra weight of the stand isn't a bother. If packing far with a heavy compound and carrying calls, scents, rattles and other gear I can see how the extra 3 pounds of the assault 2 can be a deal breaker. I can email a pic of all 3 side side for a visual comparison too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”