Swamp Hunting is Painful

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Swamp Hunting is Painful

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 pm

I went hunting tonight at a spot with high potential near previously scouted buck beds. It has a hill with trees, buckbrush, and swamp all converging on one spot. They also are casual back there, not expecting to see people.

About that...some of these out of the way spots suck. All I saw tonight was a doe. I waded through a swamp, soaked my right foot, gotten bitten by mosquitoes, got scratched up by thorns...and just saw a doe.

I love hunting but some of the good spots out there are physically painful. Coming away empty makes it worse. :violin:

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: Swamp Hunting is Painful

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:30 pm

I feel ya man! They dont call it hunting for nothin. All those lame sits, tiring walks, soaked boots, and sweat make that buck kill that much more gratifying

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:40 pm

If it was easy I would probably find a different thing to do with my time. After a tough day with sore muscles I get a good nights sleep and the next day I am ready to do it all over again.

I like to look at it as I am one day closer to success. ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:43 pm

I have spent many a day in the swamp getting wet, tripping, falling HARD, twisting ankles, getting battered, beaten and bloody. Only to leave exhausted, cold and sweaty (at the same time) without seeing a deer. Ahhh.... such fond memories swamps leave you with. :lol:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm looking back trough all the threads. I can't find anywhere where it says it will be easy. ;) :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:21 pm

I like it when I come home beat up and bloody, I feel like I accomplished something. :D
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Man that's all part of the game, better luck next time.. I know how you.. feel been there many times...

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:54 am

Farm hunting with crops in has been kicking my but lately... :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:43 am

Dewey wrote:If it was easy I would probably find a different thing to do with my time. After a tough day with sore muscles I get a good nights sleep and the next day I am ready to do it all over again.

This sums it up very well. If it was easy everyone would do it and the hunting for big bucks would be that much harder. I do feel your pain.........almost every time out! I can't stop, I love the challenge too much :lol:

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:06 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Dewey wrote:If it was easy I would probably find a different thing to do with my time. After a tough day with sore muscles I get a good nights sleep and the next day I am ready to do it all over again.

This sums it up very well. If it was easy everyone would do it and the hunting for big bucks would be that much harder. I do feel your pain.........almost every time out! I can't stop, I love the challenge too much :lol:

X3.

Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Stanley wrote:I'm looking back trough all the threads. I can't find anywhere where it says it will be easy. ;) :lol:

For sure, and to be clear, I am ready to go again now. Really pumped to hit the swamp again.

It's just that on that night, right about the time thorns went through two layers of clothes and then I went up to my knee in that soupy mud (that was covered with vegetation), I was thinking, "Man, I should be home with my wife and son, with a cup of coffee."
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Reminds me of a time I was walking a irrigation ditch to my tree and fell though an undercut bank 5ft fall my stand smacked me in the back of the head and it was lights out for a sec. Good thing I didn't land face down because I probably wouldn't be here typing this right now, woke up on my back with water up to my neck. I climbed out bleeding from the head and still set up and hunted that night :D
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:08 pm

I love this thread. You could only be an hour out of the city but on some remote swamp island Oak Flat that you work to get to and yeah you might not see anything and all you have is battle scars and fatigue to show for it. But man do you ever feel like you're out there in your own little private utopia. It's earned.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Badger wrote:Reminds me of a time I was walking a irrigation ditch to my tree and fell though an undercut bank 5ft fall my stand smacked me in the back of the head and it was lights out for a sec. Good thing I didn't land face down because I probably wouldn't be here typing this right now, woke up on my back with water up to my neck. I climbed out bleeding from the head and still set up and hunted that night :D

I've had the "Lone Wolf love tap" to the head more than a few times, but never got cracked as hard as you did!

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Buckfever wrote:I love this thread. You could only be an hour out of the city but on some remote swamp island Oak Flat that you work to get to and yeah you might not see anything and all you have is battle scars and fatigue to show for it. But man do you ever feel like you're out there in your own little private utopia. It's earned.

X2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”