Watch the maple trees...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Watch the maple trees...

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 am

dan wrote:
Stanley wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I think this is what contributes to the October Lull..... the deer don't have to move to get food, they just bed near these maples & feed on them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Some areas I hunt have no maples.

Just like oaks, I like it when there are not many, it makes the draw much better for the few.

X2

I knew deer liked maple leaves but never thought of it as a primary food source....going to have to keep that in mind.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Dan never ceases to impress me... :lol:

I consider myself to be "somewhat" of an authority on maple trees and our "fave", the whitetail- especially in regard to the sugar maple as a browse species for deer. I have watched deer interact with maple as a species for decades. Last month I sold my property that contained tens of thousands of sugar maples and I hunted it a lot. I have watched what the deer do in this environment over and over for many years.

The starch content of maple leaves is highest in early fall. When they fall off the tree the deer absolutely love them. The starch is leached from the leaves when they turn brown and deteriorate. As far as being a sweet treat for the deer, those first couple of weeks are primetime.

What most hunters do not realize is that maple leaves, especially the sugar maple, contain surprisingly high levels (much higher than most other leaf types) of magnesium, calcium and potassium WHEN THE LEAVES FALL FROM THE TREES. This double-whammy of high sugar and mineral content is very attractive to the whitetail. As several of you have mentioned, the deer are all about it.

High mineral content alone is a draw for deer in leaves, and why they love stripping the leaves off of dogwood trees spring / summer and fall.

Back to the maple, the deer will eat these leaves whenever they are available for browse, even when the starch and mineral content is lower. There aren't always a lot of young maple around and when the mature trees drop leaves by the thousands in fall the deer can eat them with little effort.

Another observation of the whitetail I have made that I really haven't read anything about is the deer eating "brown and down" maple leaves. Many, many times I have observed deer eating maple leaves that have been down for a long time and they have become brown and crunchy. They are not nearly as preferred as they are at leafdrop, but I can't help but shake my head when they do this. I reason that the starches have likely been leached from the leaves, but the minerals remain.

Yes, you heard it right and that's what I said... deer of all ages eating brown and crunchy maple leaves. ;)
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 pm

Seems in cuts by me deer demolish the stickers off of maple stumps by me year round but especially when they turn, never paid much attention in the mature stands

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Dan never ceases to impress me... :lol:

I consider myself to be "somewhat" of an authority on maple trees and our "fave", the whitetail- especially in regard to the sugar maple as a browse species for deer. I have watched deer interact with maple as a species for decades. Last month I sold my property that contained tens of thousands of sugar maples and I hunted it a lot. I have watched what the deer do in this environment over and over for many years.

The starch content of maple leaves is highest in early fall. When they fall off the tree the deer absolutely love them. The starch is leached from the leaves when they turn brown and deteriorate. As far as being a sweet treat for the deer, those first couple of weeks are primetime.

What most hunters do not realize is that maple leaves, especially the sugar maple, contain surprisingly high levels (much higher than most other leaf types) of magnesium, calcium and potassium WHEN THE LEAVES FALL FROM THE TREES. This double-whammy of high sugar and mineral content is very attractive to the whitetail. As several of you have mentioned, the deer are all about it.

High mineral content alone is a draw for deer in leaves, and why they love stripping the leaves off of dogwood trees spring / summer and fall.

Back to the maple, the deer will eat these leaves whenever they are available for browse, even when the starch and mineral content is lower. There aren't always a lot of young maple around and when the mature trees drop leaves by the thousands in fall the deer can eat them with little effort.

Another observation of the whitetail I have made that I really haven't read anything about is the deer eating "brown and down" maple leaves. Many, many times I have observed deer eating maple leaves that have been down for a long time and they have become brown and crunchy. They are not nearly as preferred as they are at leafdrop, but I can't help but shake my head when they do this. I reason that the starches have likely been leached from the leaves, but the minerals remain.

Yes, you heard it right and that's what I said... deer of all ages eating brown and crunchy maple leaves. ;)

Great stuff Bridge. I have a new respect for the maple tree.
Maple_Ridge

Unread postby Maple_Ridge » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Wow....never knew that and will keep an eye on this. We do maple syrup in the spring. I knew that some attempt syrup making in the fall, its a shorter season and spring is the normal time. Never made the connection with deer eating the leaves though.

1 John 2:15 - read it
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Dan never ceases to impress me... :lol:

Good stuff SB. I have hung tree stands in silver maple trees. I may have never noticed deer honing in on the silver maple leaves because there are so may in the one area I hunt. In another area I hunt there is not even one maple tree. I have seen deer eat oak (red) leaves so maybe all leaves have some nutritional value? There are no sugar maple trees in any of the areas I hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm kind of surprised by the responses in this thread. I thought everyone knew about the attraction of maple leaves except for maybe newbies to hunting. Maple browse from new growth is also very nutritious.

It seems the leaves are at their peak palatability right when they fall or right before. Many times I have witnessed deer sniffing and then selectively eating certain maple leaves. I have never noticed deer having a preference for the dried brown leaves though.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:39 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I have never noticed deer having a preference for the dried brown leaves though.

I'm glad you posted this Lance, it helps me see how others may interpret what I've written. The brown colored (old) maple leaves are far from a preferred food source, but they often pick them up to eat along their travel routes. When the maple leaves first drop from the tree, that is the "big draw."

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:55 pm

On several of the properties I hunt, the timber is young and many of the oaks do not produce acorns yet, therefore, the maples get hammered. Young maples + a nearby water source has been a very good setup for me in October. One setup I hunt has mature white oaks on the north side of a creek and 10-15 year old sugar maples on the other, kind of a breakfast buffet. It is an outstanding setup for deer observation and escaping the October "lull".
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:22 am

Wow this is all news to me!

I don't know whether to be happy or sad that I hinge cut so many maples last winter?

Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:56 am

Redman232 wrote:On several of the properties I hunt, the timber is young and many of the oaks do not produce acorns yet, therefore, the maples get hammered. Young maples + a nearby water source has been a very good setup for me in October. One setup I hunt has mature white oaks on the north side of a creek and 10-15 year old sugar maples on the other, kind of a breakfast buffet. It is an outstanding setup for deer observation and escaping the October "lull".

Excellent post.

Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:10 am

We were at the zoo Saturday. The gorillas were outside. I watched with interest as one of them used a long stick, pushing it thru the fence and dragging maple leaves toward her. She seemed to be really enjoying them. At the time I was wondering why, thinking they must taste awful.
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:44 am

Never hear of deer eating maple leaves as a relevant food source but it makes sense. I am going to be hunting an area on Friday that has a lot of maple- will keep that in mind.
Thanks!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:11 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:I have never noticed deer having a preference for the dried brown leaves though.

I'm glad you posted this Lance, it helps me see how others may interpret what I've written. The brown colored (old) maple leaves are far from a preferred food source, but they often pick them up to eat along their travel routes. When the maple leaves first drop from the tree, that is the "big draw."

Are we talking all maples or sugar maples? I have zero sugar maples on any of the properties I hunt. I have never noticed deer honing in on silver maple leaves.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:22 am

Stanley wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:

Are we talking all maples or sugar maples? I have zero sugar maples on any of the properties I hunt. I have never noticed deer honing in on silver maple leaves.

That is the question I asked yesterday. Is there a difference between sugar, red, silver...I assumed sugar is preferred. Bridge's post makes me think I'm on the right track.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”