Moon Questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jujuscisyn

Moon Questions

Unread postby jujuscisyn » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:24 am

Forgive me, I have tried to use the search on this topic and get a wealth of topics and posts but none that truly answer my question. I've read here about the moons that keep the deer feeding late or bedded quick. I also heard it mentioned on the dvd's. I have a basic understanding of rise and set and underfoot or overhead. However I've yet to learn what moon determines or drives which behavior. Am I missing a definitive post or thread? Perhaps a book or great website. Or would one of you mind describing it to me. I'm ok if you teach me like a 2 year old and assume I know nothing because i feel its important. Thank you all in advance for your consideration and patience.

backstraps

Re: Moon Questions

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 am

Well, you mentioned in your post..."what moon"
Its not a particular moon phase, but rather when the moon is underfoot and over head.

Because the earth revolves as it moves around the sun, the moon will be directly overhead or underfoot at different times each day. The game activity tables take this into account, and predict that deer will be most active/feed when the moon is either directly overhead or underfoot of the animals current position because of this gravitational pull, with predicted major times often coinciding with the overhead position of the moon and minor times coinciding with the underfoot position of the moon.

If the overhead underfoot time for your area is say right at sunrise or even up to an hour after sunrise, you could possibly see deer movement later into the daylight hour. Same as closing time in the evening...

I have done studies and have seen the overhead underfoot theory proven, however I feel that the other influences play a much, much larger role in deer or other animal movements. Take for instance strong gusty winds. The moon can be directly overhead at roughly sunset, and I think the gusty winds would keep even the hungriest deer in its bed until the conditions were safer for travel. I think heavy snow, wind, human pressure, breeding triggers, a deer's established routine, govern when, where, and how he or she moves throughout its' life more so than the moon's position.

Personally I think the "moon days" is another tool in the bad you can use to your advantage when the time is right.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”