As a deer hunter what stage are you in? (POLL)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Read the article and choose your stage.....

Shooter Stage
5%
The Limiting Out Stage
13%
The Trophy Stage
37%
The Method Stage
33%
The Sportsman Stage
12%

Total votes: 78
Dewey

As a deer hunter what stage are you in? (POLL)

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:24 am

The Five Stages of Evolution of a Sport Hunter

As with all things in life, a hunter's perspective of his sport changes as time goes by. According to the Hunter's Education manual used by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, the five stages of a hunter's life are (a) the Shooter Stage, (b) the Limiting-Out stage, (c) the Trophy stage, (d) the Method stage, and (e) the Sportsman stage.

As the sport of hunting itself changes through the years, so do the factors that determine what "successful hunting" is. Add to this the changes that take place in each hunter's life, and things can get a bit confusing. Some of the factors that can determine or influence what kinds of hunters we become are (a) the hunter's age, (b) his hunting companions, (c) his role models, (d) his personal ethics, and (e) his and years of hunting experience. All of these affect our ideas of "success." Where a hunter fits into one of the five groups may change as he progresses in his hunting career. What stage are you in now? What stage would you like to be in?

The Shooter Stage

A hunter who is in the Shooter Stage talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to "get-in some shooting." The beginning duck hunter says that he had an excellent day if he got-in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter talks about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.

The Limiting-Out Stage

A hunter who is in the Limiting-Out Stage still talks about the satisfaction of shooting. But what seems more important to him is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals that he has shot. Limiting-out or filling a tag is his absolute measure of success. Do not let your desire to limit-out be stronger than your concern for safe behavior at all times.

The Trophy Stage

The satisfaction of a hunter in the Trophy stage is determined by the selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important than finding and shooting the coveted trophy.

The Method Stage

When a hunter has reached the Method Stage, he has accumulated all the special equipment that he could conceivably need. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. His satisfaction comes from the method that enables him to take game. Taking game is important but secondary to how he takes it. This hunter studies long and hard how best to pick a blind site, how to lay-out decoys, and how to call-in waterfowl. A deer hunter goes one-on- one with a white-tail deer — studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. This hunter often handicaps himself intentionally by hunting only with black-powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

The Sportsman Stage

Finally, as a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he tends to "mellow out." He now finds satisfaction in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game.

Not all sport hunters go through all these stages, or go through them in this particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in a different stage with regard to each species that he hunts. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some of these stages.

There you have it, two studies with two very different ways of looking at hunters and how we approach our sport. Does one of these categories describe you? Where are you in your hunting career now? Where would you like to be? Each of us has to decide for himself what kind of hunter he wants to be, and to be the best hunter that he can be.

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: As a deer hunter what stage are you in? (POLL)

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:28 am

I picked trophy stage...but I'm more in the trophy and method stage combined...they shall call it the BEAST stage! :mrgreen: 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:29 am

I would say I am in the Method Stage but leaning towards the Sportsman Stage more every year. The kill isn't nearly as important as it was 5 years ago. Now it's all about having fun and enjoying the full experience more than anything.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:39 am

I fit the method stage really well so I picked that but also see trophy stage and on occasion even sportsman.

Great post Dewey.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:39 am

Somewhere around the trophy and method stages for me. I must have skipped the limiting out stage as that has never really been all that important to me, only taking what is desired, not trying to prove myself through over bagging.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:54 am

I would say as czabs did ...I think im in-between trophy and method stage ...wicth makes me beast stage :twisted:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:00 am

I flat out like to shoot stuff! I also like to try and kill a trophy class animal every now and again. I really like to study game/fish and figure out the most efficient way to hunt/catch them... plus I really enjoy being outdoors. So I don't know :?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:11 am

DropTyne wrote:Somewhere around the trophy and method stages for me. I must have skipped the limiting out stage as that has never really been all that important to me, only taking what is desired, not trying to prove myself through over bagging.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

X2!!!!!!

Voted trophy stage for the poll though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 am

Trophy stage for sure, dabbling in the method stage and well I think we all have a little sportsmans stage in us.
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:07 am

I would like to say I am in the Trophy stage. There was a period of time prior to kids and marriage that I was consistently getting on good deer and had the practice, time, and skill set to regularly see and pass quality deer in search of a "trophy". After not shooting a deer a few years now I think I am regressing into the limiting out phase. I feel the need to fill a tag on a deer because I am feeling that with the amount of hunting time I get any deer should be a shooter. I have passed a couple deer already this year and am finding myself regretting it. I haven't felt regret for passing a deer in quite sometime. It probably has more to do with the additional time I will spend away from my family in pursuit of my passion. I need to get back to the pure enjoyment of the sport simply by filling my tags and enjoying the success of a kill.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:30 am

I feel I'm a mix of Method/Sportsman, hint of Trophy though I've never covered large areas in search of the largest animal. I've usually tried to target the best on the ground I hunt.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:33 am

I find those stages strange since I only started hunting last year but feel I fit better in the Sportsman stage even though I have not done this "Finally, as a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he tends to "mellow out." He now finds satisfaction in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game."

Now I would like to get a deer but that is not whats makes me want to go out. Now after this year if I see a lot and do not get anything maybe I will revert to another stage.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:37 am

I voted Method stage. I've been fortunate enough to kill lots and lots of a Deer, Bear and Turkeys. Quite a few quality animals fill my trophy room. I have come full circle the last couple seasons. I just love being out there now enjoying the great outdoors. Filled tags aren't nearly as important as time well spent in Gods great creation. Plus I have a gorgeous wife and two beautiful kids that mean way more to me than any deer I have on the wall..

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:53 am

Knute78 wrote:I would like to say I am in the Trophy stage. There was a period of time prior to kids and marriage that I was consistently getting on good deer and had the practice, time, and skill set to regularly see and pass quality deer in search of a "trophy". After not shooting a deer a few years now I think I am regressing into the limiting out phase. I feel the need to fill a tag on a deer because I am feeling that with the amount of hunting time I get any deer should be a shooter. I have passed a couple deer already this year and am finding myself regretting it. I haven't felt regret for passing a deer in quite sometime. It probably has more to do with the additional time I will spend away from my family in pursuit of my passion. I need to get back to the pure enjoyment of the sport simply by filling my tags and enjoying the success of a kill.

Shoot a doe... :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:12 am

Bucky wrote:
Knute78 wrote:I would like to say I am in the Trophy stage. There was a period of time prior to kids and marriage that I was consistently getting on good deer and had the practice, time, and skill set to regularly see and pass quality deer in search of a "trophy". After not shooting a deer a few years now I think I am regressing into the limiting out phase. I feel the need to fill a tag on a deer because I am feeling that with the amount of hunting time I get any deer should be a shooter. I have passed a couple deer already this year and am finding myself regretting it. I haven't felt regret for passing a deer in quite sometime. It probably has more to do with the additional time I will spend away from my family in pursuit of my passion. I need to get back to the pure enjoyment of the sport simply by filling my tags and enjoying the success of a kill.

Shoot a doe... :D

That's what I told my wife I am going to do. It's time to get back on the board.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”