Decoy tricks/tips

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

christian1
500 Club

Decoy tricks/tips

Unread postby christian1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:35 pm

I bought three Montana decoys (feeding doe, alert doe and buck). Any tips or tricks for use? Anyone use them outside the rut?

chris

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Decoy tricks/tips

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:03 am

christian1 wrote:I bought three Montana decoys (feeding doe, alert doe and buck). Any tips or tricks for use? Anyone use them outside the rut?

chris

I never used the 2d decoys in the field; however, I'd assume the #1 consideration is visibility. With the 3D decoys I like to place the buck decoy (one antler) facing toward me and doe decoy facing quartering away from me. I'm by far a decoy expert. I like to hunt over them a couple times a year for fun. Its a hoot. I hope to lay down some footage for the first time this year.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:33 am

I am a bit concerned about the 2d affect, but that is why I bought three--increased visibility. The obvious advantage is that I can carry three decoys a long ways. Just looking for some good tactics.

chris
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:20 am

Open area so they can be seen and also an area that does not get too much doe traffic so the does do not blow at them.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:49 am

I have played around with a lot of decoys over the years. I never could get set up correctly with them because of the way I hunt. I never hunt open fields and that is where the decoy would get the most exposure. When I set the decoy up in the thick deer couldn't see them until they got right up on them. When the bucks did get right up on them they spooked from the scent. I wish I could be of more help.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”