How early to bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ScoutHuntShed

How early to bed?

Unread postby ScoutHuntShed » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:04 am

Hi all, I don't post much but really enjoy reading all the informative posts and stories.

I have pics of a big buck on my property and I'm trying to determine if he's bedding on my place or passing through. This is in Western WI hill county. I have a ton of pics of him coming into the property off of a trail from a bean field. I'm running three cameras. Shorty after the pics near the field I have pics of him heading towards know bedding areas (ridge points).

All of the pics are anywhere between 10:30pm and 3:30am. I have no pics of him exiting the known bedding on the same route he enters or heading to the field on the same route he exits. We picked up one of his sheds in April and have pics of him from last year.

It seems early to be heading back to bed so maybe he's just passing through to feed else where? - or - he's exiting the bed on a different route?

The pics I am getting don't correlate with any wind patterns. The property is ~ 175 acres.

Thanks!

WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Re: How early to bed?

Unread postby WKPTodd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:58 am

So long as there isn't any pressure, if a buck is bedded close to your camera; through the course of the summer you should have at least a few pictures at first light, last light, or just after dark.

I'd say that buck lives about 1/4-1/2 mile from where you are. Maybe more, just depends on how much habitat you have around there.

I get a bunch of bucks on camera in the summertime out on the fields, and almost NEVER see them in those fields during hunting season - daylight hours. Hunting pressure is the reason in my case, too many dudes hunting too darned much.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:45 am

I'd say at those times... he is not bedding close. If you get him as Todd said right at grey light or say 5-530AM then you are close. Middle of night he could be another mile away from bedding... they cover some ground in the hills!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Hard to know, I'd keep moving the cameras and try and catch him on the property some more. 10:30-3:30 that's a long span on a property that's only 175 acres. And with three cameras you're not covering a lot. Respect the bedding but move them around catch him some more.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Buckfever wrote:Hard to know, I'd keep moving the cameras and try and catch him on the property some more. 10:30-3:30 that's a long span on a property that's only 175 acres. And with three cameras you're not covering a lot. Respect the bedding but move them around catch him some more.

This was my first thought as well. Getting pics of him at that time does nothing for your chances of killing him. Bounce the cams around in some safe areas and try to get a pic on one side of grey light or the other..then you can narrow it down.

Good luck!
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:12 pm

03:30 leaves a lot of time to move in the dark yet. Is it safe to move the cams to the edges of your property? I'd give that a shot, as long as your confident it won't bugger him up or risk the cams getting stolen.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
ScoutHuntShed

Unread postby ScoutHuntShed » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Milk Weed Seed wrote:03:30 leaves a lot of time to move in the dark yet. Is it safe to move the cams to the edges of your property? I'd give that a shot, as long as your confident it won't bugger him up or risk the cams getting stolen.

I'll be moving the cameras around when it's convenient. I'm trying to stay really low impact this year.

Thanks for all the replies!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:10 pm

ScoutHuntShed wrote:
Milk Weed Seed wrote:03:30 leaves a lot of time to move in the dark yet. Is it safe to move the cams to the edges of your property? I'd give that a shot, as long as your confident it won't bugger him up or risk the cams getting stolen.

I'll be moving the cameras around when it's convenient. I'm trying to stay really low impact this year.

Thanks for all the replies!

I think that is a smart move

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:02 pm

I agree with what Todd and Bucky said.

Just remember once the beans are gone the buck could be too. See this every year.

I don't take much consideration with pics several hours past dark or middle of the night. They can run ridges and go f a r in a short amount of time. My guess is you are in his range but not preference bedding area. You might see him on your land in daylight during the rut. Good luck. That's awesome you found his shed. I love shed hunting.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 am

Unfortunately I would say you are catching him on the far side of his 'circuit'. But he could very well show up during daylight in the rut.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”