Climbing in the dark

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Climbing in the dark

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:26 am

Hello all I am getting very comfortable with climbing now. I was out until nearly dark last night practicing within eye sight of my house. My hunting tactics (Beast mode) this year are a bit more aggressive and I will be close to the deer when climbing (within 100 yards). I have been learning the best way to keep my climbing quiet, but wondered what you all thought about using a head lamp. I would hate to make it to my tree without busting any deer, then have them see my light moving around.

Do you wait until grey light to climb, or do you use a red lamp. I am not sure if the red will help or not. Right now I have a super bright LED headlamp. It makes me feel a bit safer to be able to see but I am getting comfy enough where last night I climbed without a light until It was almost dark. I had to use the security light by my house to see to put my cables back in.

Do any of you climb soley in the dark?

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Climbing in the dark

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 am

Couple of points to make. Safety is the absolute first consideration you can't hunt tomorrow if you bust yourself up today. Stealth is the next important consideration. A light would in a lot of instances give your position away. I think you would be better off hunting farther away from the bed in the morning if you have to use a light. I never use a light in the morning anymore. My success increased considerably when I quit using a light. Evening hunts are safer in this respect. Descending in the dark is much easier with dry boots, than ascending is, with wet boots in the dark.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:56 am

I prefer to climb in the dark. I can generally see good enough to do it safely. Only use the light if I can't find something at the base of the tree.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:08 am

Trust me safety is my number 1 conscern. I had a near death fall when I was in highschool. I just got back on the climber this past year. I have been practicing a lot and feel a lot better than ever before.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:25 am

I use a green light, but try to have your tree picked out before you go in. If you know the tree and there is any moonlight, you should be able to avoid using the light much. Good luck and most importantly, stay tethered to the tree through the climb and descent.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:40 am

It's pretty much impossible to sneak around the woods/marsh with a light bobbing around on top of your head. That's not too stealthy/beastly. I'd suggest you get use to climbing trees and navigating without the aid of a light.
If I'm going through thick cover, ill wait till gray light so I don't make a ton of noise.
Your eyes adjust pretty well in the dark and it's not a huge deal.
[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”