More on snake boots for deer hunting.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: More on snake boots for deer hunting.

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 am

I'd mount that sucker........

You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
bdaybuck

Unread postby bdaybuck » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 pm

I hunt in GA and KS. Last year the day before Thanksgiving while walking out of a creek bottom, I stepped over a cotton mouth. I squealed like a little girl as I tip toed out of reach. Never would have thought they would still be out that late. Needless to say I purchased a pair of snake boots from BassPro.

I went with their rubber slip on snake boot. I love'em and they are my everyday hunting boot now.
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-16-Water ... /10202003/

I tuck my pants inside them and walk all over.
The lace ups pinched my ankles.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:16 pm

bdaybuck wrote:I hunt in GA and KS. Last year the day before Thanksgiving while walking out of a creek bottom, I stepped over a cotton mouth. I squealed like a little girl as I tip toed out of reach. Never would have thought they would still be out that late. Needless to say I purchased a pair of snake boots from BassPro.

I went with their rubber slip on snake boot. I love'em and they are my everyday hunting boot now.

What state was the cottonmouth in?
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:20 pm

bdaybuck wrote:I hunt in GA and KS. Last year the day before Thanksgiving while walking out of a creek bottom, I stepped over a cotton mouth. I squealed like a little girl as I tip toed out of reach. Never would have thought they would still be out that late. Needless to say I purchased a pair of snake boots from BassPro.

Same thing happened to me, except I was walking into a creek bottom along the edge of the creek and I went to step and for some reason I decided to look down and there was a cottonmouth coiled up sleeping... I poked it with my gun and sure enough it opened it's white mouth with fangs and I was like "I'm out of here!" lol... This was late November in NC as well. A few weeks prior a game warden was like pssh, snakes... it's too cold for them, you won't see one! Well I did. Haven't purchased boots yet but the place I'm hunting now has swamps and loaded with snakes so I hear... I guess I'll find out soon
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Dor wrote:I have seen a few timber rattlers over the years in the SE MN bluff country....that was a few to many :mrgreen: YIkes

Had a close encounter with a timber rattler hiking through the woods. Close enough for it to rattle... scared the crap out of me when I finally saw it coiled up in the leaves. Perfect camouflage...
jshorns
Facebook: Simple Hunting

Unread postby jshorns » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:01 am

I looked at the BP rubber boot and they were on sale for 50$ ` just one pair left size 14/ way to big for me. However I think these look good n will buy a pair when they r available. the types other then rubber all look full oh holes/zippers/stitches/etc. all the ones I have tried leak so im goin with the rubber slip on ones- no zippers!!!!!!!
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:16 am

That's why its nice to have a good long, cold, winter. Need more of the ones where it gets -10° or more for a couple of weeks in Jan. I hate spiders, snakes, and all those other creepy crawly things. :mrgreen:
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 am

C&T Archery wrote:Don't know if I could hunt down South. That is one thing that gives me chills; is snakes. I kill all of them don't care what kind they are. I would rather go north from Wisconsin on a hunting trip.

X100!!!! The only thing that really freaks me out are snakes!!!
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
bdaybuck

Unread postby bdaybuck » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:10 am

Zap wrote:

What state was the cottonmouth in?

Central Georgia
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:49 pm

I was blood trailing a deer many years ago in Ft. Stewart, Ga. It was freezing cold and I was down on my hands and knees with my face about 18" off the ground looking for specks of blood when all of a sudden about a 5' timber rattler shied backwards from the wire grass. It had been coiled up about 2' from my face. I guess the real cold weather is the only reason it didn't strike me right in the face.

That was 1968 and still gives me chills to think about it. I killed it with an old Ben Pearson Dead Head broadhead. Snake boots wouldn't have helped.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”