More on snake boots for deer hunting.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jshorns
Facebook: Simple Hunting

More on snake boots for deer hunting.

Unread postby jshorns » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:34 pm

A few post ago I complained about my inability to find a pair of waterproof snake boots. I ended up cutting the soles off mine and sliding them over my rubber boots. This picture explains why I am so concerned about wearing snake boots. I nearly stepped on this guy when leaving the woods yesterday - ouch! :clap:

Zap

Re: More on snake boots for deer hunting.

Unread postby Zap » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Snakebite can be a nasty wound......nice one!
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:46 pm

I would like to find some too. I almost stepped on a water moccasin last year in the middle of December. He wasn't the big but poisonous nonetheless! I have heard from other hunters that the swamps in the land I hunt hold a lot of snakes so I'm a little wary haha... Would love to find some good boots to protect myself.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:02 pm

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:19 am

check out bogs copperhead boots
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:26 am

jshorns wrote:A few post ago I complained about my inability to find a pair of waterproof snake boots. I ended up cutting the soles off mine and sliding them over my rubber boots. This picture explains why I am so concerned about wearing snake boots. I nearly stepped on this guy when leaving the woods yesterday - ouch! :clap:

Sweet! 8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:08 am

Don't know if I could hunt down South. That is one thing that gives me chills; is snakes. I kill all of them don't care what kind they are. I would rather go north from Wisconsin on a hunting trip.
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:50 am

I coonhunted in a competition in Georgia once, and only once. Between snakes, alligators, and Brown Recluse Spiders, that was enough for me.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:55 am

I have seen a few timber rattlers over the years in the SE MN bluff country....that was a few to many :mrgreen: YIkes

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:38 am

I have 2 black snakes that hang around my house. 1 is a good 5 ft the other about 4 ft. They do a good job of keeping the other poisonous snakes away. They also help keep the lizards and frog populations down.

They do have a tendency of popping up when you least expect it. Like when you reach for the water hose and the snake is curled up in the middle of the hose. :lol:

At least they go a different direction after the encounter.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:07 am

I was sitting down with my legs stretched out in front of me calling turkeys when I noticed this one's big ole head raised up about 4" from my knee. He had crawled up from behind me and was parallel with my leg and had his tongue flicking out when I saw him. Snake boots wouldn't have done me any good with him. Somehow, I can't explain how it was physically possible, but I jumped straight up and swung around and behind the tree I was leaning against in a nano second. It jumped in the other direction, coiled and started singing.

When it did strike..as I was coming down on his head with a long limber limb, it was up and straight towards my face..lot closer than I was expecting.

This was in Green Swamp East WMA in Central Fl. I always wore camo tennis shoes until it got too cold. Never had a pair of snake boots that weren't too heavy and didn't leak.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:05 pm

I bowhunted pigs near Labelle and Clewiston 5-6 years ago...never put any creedence into snakes....i would be apporaching things very differently now seeing these guys...wow
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:51 am

I caught hogs on the Duda Ranch close to Labelle..many years back...that's some kinda hot weather down there.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:11 am

So glad I live up north, not sure I could handle living with large poisonous snakes.
jshorns
Facebook: Simple Hunting

Unread postby jshorns » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:07 pm

I was back in the same area the next day and met a guy walking up the sand road about 100 yards from where I killed the snake - he had on tennis shoes n tan cotton pants. I told him, man you need to get you some snake boots, he just shrugged it off - not to bright. The day before I spent about two hours hacking my way about a hundred yards through a head high honeysuckle thicket. There is a cattail filled lake/swamp (gators included) behind the thicket and the edge between the two is loaded with buck sign, both old and new. I'm planning a hunt high in a pine overlooking the area towards the end of October. I'll also be wearing my snake boots AND chaps from now on as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”