Essentials in your hunting rig

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Essentials in your hunting rig

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 am

Bow, arrows, release and good digital camera I carry to the stand. The way I see it, my camera is the one frivolous accessory I let myself bring but it definitely makes hunts more enjoyable for me so I bring it.

In Pack:
Rangefinder
Pull up rope
Screw in hanger
headlamp
leatherman multitool
Outer hunting pants and jacket (till I get to stand location)
gloves and trigger finger mittens.
balaclava (These beat a stocking cap hands down by the way the way, try one!)
Spare release (Thats the only spare thing I bring, and that is the only spare thing I have ever needed.)
Grunt tube
rattling antlers only if its the right time and place
Wind checker
If its a longer sit, a granola bar or an apple or two. I bring water only if I am sitting most of the day.

All that fits in a pack of 10-12 lbs. I like to travel light and fast. Everyone I have ever hunted around takes twice as long or more than me to pack/unpack, the more stuff you bring the more stuff you get the urge to fiddle with I think.

Other than that, I wear my tree saddle to the set up spot (or as it is sneeringly referred to by some friends, the Adult Diaper lol) with just the inner layer of clothes selected based on weather, and my phone - turned OFF - in my pockets. I am going to climb trees using the one-stick method this year. If I set up on the ground, and maybe 20% of my spots are ground sits, I leave the climbing stuff at home.

I don't have much of anything in the vehicle - bow case I guess. I hunt within 45 minutes of home mostly so if I shoot one I always go back and get whatever I need - rope, deer cart sled etc.

I thought I had a real minimalist set-up but once I wrote all that down, its depressingly long lol...oh well.

Bucky

Re: Essentials in your hunting rig

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 am

JoeRE wrote:Bow, arrows, release and good digital camera I carry to the stand. The way I see it, my camera is the one frivolous accessory I let myself bring but it definitely makes hunts more enjoyable for me so I bring it.

In Pack:
Rangefinder
Pull up rope
Screw in hanger
headlamp
leatherman multitool
Outer hunting pants and jacket (till I get to stand location)
gloves and trigger finger mittens.
balaclava (These beat a stocking cap hands down by the way the way, try one!
Spare release (Thats the only spare thing I bring, and that is the only spare thing I have ever needed.)
Grunt tube
rattling antlers only if its the right time and place
Wind checker
If its a longer sit, a granola bar or an apple or two. I bring water only if I am sitting most of the day.

All that fits in a pack of 10-12 lbs. I like to travel light and fast. Everyone I have ever hunted around takes twice as long or more than me to pack/unpack, the more stuff you bring the more stuff you get the urge to fiddle with I think.

Other than that, I wear my tree saddle to the set up spot (or as it is sneeringly referred to by some friends, the Adult Diaper lol) with just the inner layer of clothes selected based on weather, and my phone - turned OFF - in my pockets. I am going to climb trees using the one-stick method this year. If I set up on the ground, and maybe 20% of my spots are ground sits, I leave the climbing stuff at home.

I don't have much of anything in the vehicle - bow case I guess. I hunt within 45 minutes of home mostly so if I shoot one I always go back and get whatever I need - rope, deer cart sled etc.

I thought I had a real minimalist set-up but once I wrote all that down, its depressingly long lol...oh well.

I agree 100%... once the temps drop I wear one (different wts) late Oct-Jan. If you cover your mouth you don't loose as much moisture (become dehydrated) on cold dry days, your lips won't chap as easy, and your exchange of air is warmer as well keeping you more comfortable
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”