Rifles allowed statewide in WI starting November 1st

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MarshMonsters

Re: Rifles allowed statewide in WI starting November 1st

Unread postby MarshMonsters » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Very unhappy that this went through. what is the reasoning behind changing? Y not go the other way and go shotgun only? What about the guys that have expensive slug guns? bucks get big in many areas because of the limited range, well see many big bucks killed this year. Right along with many wounded or unrecovered animals because of people thinking they can shoot farther without actually being capable of it. Stupid imo

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:07 pm

It's sad and scary that the the most incidents are from failure to identify target...per DNR 2012 season
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:15 pm

MarshMonsters wrote:Very unhappy that this went through. what is the reasoning behind changing? Y not go the other way and go shotgun only? What about the guys that have expensive slug guns? bucks get big in many areas because of the limited range, well see many big bucks killed this year. Right along with many wounded or unrecovered animals because of people thinking they can shoot farther without actually being capable of it. Stupid imo

I agree with this 100%
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:50 pm

MarshMonsters wrote:Very unhappy that this went through. what is the reasoning behind changing? Y not go the other way and go shotgun only? What about the guys that have expensive slug guns? bucks get big in many areas because of the limited range, well see many big bucks killed this year. Right along with many wounded or unrecovered animals because of people thinking they can shoot farther without actually being capable of it. Stupid imo

not trying to stir the pot, but I really don't think the rifles will make a difference. may as well get rid of compound bows and just shoot a recurve. that would make a difference.....

now I can get the .270 I have wanted. :dance:
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:55 pm

MarshMonsters wrote:Very unhappy that this went through. what is the reasoning behind changing? Y not go the other way and go shotgun only? [glow=red]What about the guys that have expensive slug guns?[/glow] bucks get big in many areas because of the limited range, well see many big bucks killed this year. Right along with many wounded or unrecovered animals because of people thinking they can shoot farther without actually being capable of it. Stupid imo

The regulations does not say you cannot use a shotgun. Cant believe how many people are totally nuts about this.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:59 pm

I think there is a lot of fear of change for no real reason. we'll have to wait a year or two to find out. it's not the weapon that ultimately kills, it's the hunter. people blamed the DNR for giving our 3 free antlerless permits for both gun and bow seasons a few years back. the deer population in many areas really plummeted. the thing is though, the DNR didn't shoot all those deer. the hunters did, or should I call them "sheeple"?
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:32 pm

[tab=30]
Bowhunting Brian wrote:I think there is a lot of fear of change for no real reason. we'll have to wait a year or two to find out. it's not the weapon that ultimately kills, it's the hunter. people blamed the DNR for giving our 3 free antlerless permits for both gun and bow seasons a few years back. the deer population in many areas really plummeted. the thing is though, the DNR didn't shoot all those deer. the hunters did, or should I call them "sheeple"?

The DNR is creating and pushing an agenda where animal conservation means NOTHING so they can take their fair share of the blame......
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
MarshMonsters wrote:Very unhappy that this went through. what is the reasoning behind changing? Y not go the other way and go shotgun only? [glow=red]What about the guys that have expensive slug guns?[/glow] bucks get big in many areas because of the limited range, well see many big bucks killed this year. Right along with many wounded or unrecovered animals because of people thinking they can shoot farther without actually being capable of it. Stupid imo

The regulations does not say you cannot use a shotgun. [glow=red]Cant believe how many people are totally nuts about this[/glow].

agreed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:

The regulations does not say you cannot use a shotgun. [glow=red]Cant believe how many people are totally nuts about this.[/glow]

agreed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
MarshMonsters

Unread postby MarshMonsters » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Yes u can still use that slug gun but why wouldnt u use a rifle? I love my savage but i will be bringing the 7mm with me on opening day. Use the best equipment that is at your disposal.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 pm

solocam88 wrote:
Stanley wrote:Cool.

Why is this cool? One reason iowa produces monster bucks is because of shotguns. Watch guys crank bucks off at long distances across iowas wide open fields and you wont think its such a great idea.

Most people don't have the capability to shoot longer ranges with a rifle. Some do, sure, but I'd bet most can't accurately shoot past the range of a shotgun.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:46 am

Southern Man wrote:
solocam88 wrote:
Stanley wrote:Cool.

Why is this cool? One reason iowa produces monster bucks is because of shotguns. Watch guys crank bucks off at long distances across iowas wide open fields and you wont think its such a great idea.

[glow=red]Most people don't have the capability to shoot longer ranges with a rifle.[/glow]Some do, sure, but I'd bet most can't accurately shoot past the range of a shotgun.

Outstanding point! Or they sighted in their gun very poorly. I see both of these come up all the time in the Q&A after the miss. :lol:
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:15 am

[tab=30]
DropTyne wrote:There are many shotguns out there right now that are tack drivers at 150 yards plus, same as an in-line muzzleloader, heck i know In the right hands both of them can reach out and hit one at 200. Yup, it's the guy that makes the shot, not the gun, and I guarantee there are a lot of people out there and on this forum that can't poke one at 200. It's educating people on what their capabilities are that is the issue, I personally know I will not take a bow shot past 30 yards, it's my personal limitation with a bow, it is what I can confidently shoot, it's the ethical shot for me. Until I practice more and become proficient at a farther distance it is my obligation to the game to not take an unethical shot. I guess what I'm trying to say is most guys are not capable of taking the longer shots (especially the 1week a year gun hunters) and I would like to think if hunters are taking those shots they are responsible like me and taking high percentage shots and not just throwing lead in the air. Lastly, like I said before, Wisconsin is a unique Midwestern state in comparison to the others in regards to topography and available cover, rest assured the hunting in the last 20% of the state that was shotgun only will continue to be good and will continue to put up some big bucks.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

When hunters start using shotguns instead of HPR on mulies and antelope out west by choice there is no comparing rifles and shotguns effectiveness.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:24 am

goldtip5575 wrote:[tab=30]
DropTyne wrote:There are many shotguns out there right now that are tack drivers at 150 yards plus, same as an in-line muzzleloader, heck i know In the right hands both of them can reach out and hit one at 200. Yup, it's the guy that makes the shot, not the gun, and I guarantee there are a lot of people out there and on this forum that can't poke one at 200. It's educating people on what their capabilities are that is the issue, I personally know I will not take a bow shot past 30 yards, it's my personal limitation with a bow, it is what I can confidently shoot, it's the ethical shot for me. Until I practice more and become proficient at a farther distance it is my obligation to the game to not take an unethical shot. I guess what I'm trying to say is most guys are not capable of taking the longer shots (especially the 1week a year gun hunters) and I would like to think if hunters are taking those shots they are responsible like me and taking high percentage shots and not just throwing lead in the air. Lastly, like I said before, Wisconsin is a unique Midwestern state in comparison to the others in regards to topography and available cover, rest assured the hunting in the last 20% of the state that was shotgun only will continue to be good and will continue to put up some big bucks.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

When hunters start using shotguns instead of HPR on mulies and antelope out west by choice there is no comparing rifles and shotguns effectiveness.

not too many shot opportunities in Wi like there is out west. There is no evidence that Iowa is so good because of shotguns. Growing big bucks is a choice.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:30 am

Rifles statewide, crossguns during archery season, call in or on line deer registration. The WI DNR does not give a damn about the quality of the hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”