Taking the shot-Buck fever-heart pounding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dbltmn

Taking the shot-Buck fever-heart pounding

Unread postby dbltmn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:40 am

I have 2 weekends and 4 sits down entering my third year of bow hunting. This has to be the most challenging and exciting thing I have experienced and I love it. I hunt public land around Mountian/Lakewood WI. Last year my deer sightings were few. SO far this season, 4 sits, 8 deer, 4 of which were bucks. I am loving it. I am happy to have a few encounters, and hope to kill one deer with a bow before the gun season.

So Saturday I had a doe, fawn, and 6 pt come through in that order. She came from my back side DOWNWIND of me. Stood there forever at 10 yds but proceeded to walk right under my feet. I was shaking violently (love that feeling, alive). The fawn took the same path under me. Then the 6 point came under me. At that point I went from shaking to realizing I might actually be killing a buck and I almost vibrated right out of my tree. He got about 5 yards in front of me and I drew back. He must have heard me and jumped about 5 yards and stood broadside. At that point I went into "stupid mode". I think I aimed like a bird hunter shooting a shotgun and released. Thankfully I did not hit the buck at all. I am so disappointed in what happened but glad for a clean miss. it was 9-10 yards and I think I just blacked out on the antlers or something.

My question is how do you guys control yourself (especially either early in your hunting career or when you have a giant in your sights) to make a good calm shot and not forget everything you know about SHOOTING?

Second Q: Is it weird to see a doe, fawn, and 1 buck together at this time of year? The 6 was still in full velvet, which was really cool also.

Thanks for all the great info out here guys.

PLB
500 Club

Re: Taking the shot-Buck fever-heart pounding

Unread postby PLB » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:52 am

All I can say is experience. The more encounters with deer close up the better. It's only your third year and it sounds like you haven't killed one yet with bow. So any deer is going to make you get "buck fever". The more deer you're around and after you kill a few it gets a little easier to remain "semi" calm! I still get excited on deer but I am able to save most of it until after I release an arrow. You need to get that first one under your belt. Buck, doe or fawn. As far as a 1 1/2 six point with a doe and fawn, that's not uncommon this time of year. He will be separating soon and finding his own home range ie wandering.. That's why so many yearling bucks get killed each season. Good luck!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:58 am

Get yourself a regimen to go through. Concentration on the shot is the most important thing. You must realize that. Practice at home, draw back, carefully aim, squeeze the release off. One you get this etched in your brain you will now have a mental diversion so to speak. Good luck
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:12 am

I utilize training from police academy days. They teach you "combat breathing" during firearm training. When we are under stress and we get that adrenaline dump we tend to hyperventilate. When you hyperventilate you don't get a good oxygen supply to your brain and muscles. The result is "tunnel vision," meaning you get so focused on the threat, or in this case the deer, that you forget about everything else around you. As a result you tend to forget all of the things you go through when you practice shooting your bow. Also we tend to loose fine motor skills which can hurt our accuracy. So to help prevent this the first thing I do when I see a deer coming is get my breathing under control. Take a few deep breaths and control the exhale slowly. Once you stop that instinct to hyperventilate everything will calm down and become more clear.

Good luck. Gotta love hunting, anything that gets you that excited over and over again is so much fun.
ONE UP

Unread postby ONE UP » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:10 am

the only thing that has gotten me over buck fever is passing on a lot of small bucks....its only my 3rd year too and don't get me wrong I will still freak when I see a giant.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:19 am

When a buck I decide to shoot comes in I focus on my shot routine and zoom in on the kill zone. I am usually very calm if they come in fast but watching them for a long time can be a little unnerving but buck fever has never really affected my shots. After the shot is a different story and I have to sit down because my whole body goes into the shakes. Hope I never lose that feeling!

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:22 am

I think that if you dont get buck fever or excited about a nice buck you wana shoot your not enjoying the best part of hunting! Nothing like the big buck close to get the heart pounding!!!
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:52 am

I get buck fever when I see a fawn! Lol. I've been getting better because I've been seeing a lot of deer but I'm not sure if that's because I know I couldn't shoot them or what. If I get shaky when I see the deer I go into full seizures after they leave lol... its a crazy feeling

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 am

We have all been there. I can remember several times when I just pointed and shot, pretty much like shooting from the hip. It takes a few encounters like that until you can control it and save the shaking for after the shot. I also have a worse record with 'chip shots' than I do with difficult ones, for whatever reason...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:32 am

Experience helps . Get a few does or bucks under your belt but getting that first one with all the shakes is tough. I messed up the first few chances years ago when I started bowhunting in PA. Then shot quit a few deer over the years. Moved to Ohio and had some chances at some real giants but made some of those rookie mistakes again. At some point I realized if I want to seal the deal on a big buck , I have to remain calm and focus. I don't know if it's "beast mode" or what but I get mad/pissed when I get ready to shoot at a buck now. Weird maybe but it keeps me calm and has been working great for me. :) I don't get excited until after I find my deer . ;)

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:41 am

I think you are doing the same thing I did when I started hunting. If I am right you are releasing your arrow as soon as you get brown in the sight picture. It's hard, but try to slow everything down. Like others are saying control your breathing and just take your time. You usually have more time than you precieve. Experince will help. I can happily say after 20 years of bow hunting, I am able to take my time, an excute the shot fairly calm now. After the shot, i still shake like a bowl of jello. Knock on wood, I have only lost one deer in the last 10 years. With more sightings you will get the hang of it. Good luck. That crazy feeling you get, is what it's all about!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:32 am

dbltmn wrote:I have 2 weekends and 4 sits down entering my third year of bow hunting. This has to be the most challenging and exciting thing I have experienced and I love it. .......

........... I am so disappointed in what happened but glad for a clean miss. it was 9-10 yards and I think I just blacked out on the antlers or something.

My question is how do you guys control yourself (especially either early in your hunting career or when you have a giant in your sights) to make a good calm shot and not forget everything you know about SHOOTING?

If I ever loose that feeling, I'll quit deer hunting.

After some encounters and a few kills you'll get better at controlling it. The more you get up close to them and the more you kill the better it will get for you. If you can, chase them a bit in the off season. You can't kill them obviously, but you can get used to bein around them.

Don't be disappointed. Smile and enjoy the time huntin. Your kill will come. I think it was Dan that said he actually roots for the buck when things don't work out. Close shots like that are hard to make sometimes.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:20 am

Deer hunting is exciting especially when you know you out smarted the deer.

You have to learn to control your breathing.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 am

Great advice here. I actually take bits and pieces of many of the posts.

In my younger years, I learned bowhunting on my own. I distinctly remember sending three arrows over a doe's back at about 10 yards. Nothing like running out of arrows and a live deer belly laughing at you. You'll find what works well for you and you'll become confident in it.

I control my breathing big time as I get the shakes if I don't. My knees almost knock. Never had such an adrenaline dump...never, not in a fist fight, or a car accident, nothing. But a deer coming in for the shot...weak in the knees. Controlled breathing prevents that from happening. Then I get mad as noted above and go through my "process" step 1, step 2, step 3...etc. It's like an autopilot now. Draw, anchor, breathe in slowly, line up the peep and proper pin, exhale, and release. Bingo.

After the shot I am a mess though. I usually have to hug the tree most times to stay in it and sit down. I hope I never lose that feeling.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
TyShe17

Unread postby TyShe17 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:24 pm

My archery career goes from winning 3ds as a youth shooting a recurve, to qualifying for the Olympic trails at 12, to compound 3ds and hunting.

I say this not to brag as I am sure there are many more accomplished archers here, but to say that in all of these forms, shot sequence and confidence in your gear/preparation are key. Once I did these things, the rush disappears at full draw, and puts me on my but after release.

In hunting (shooting game vs. targets is much different) my biggest gain came when I started to aim for my exit.

Good luck and enjoy the experiences.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”